Working For Peanuts

Yesterday, fourteen years ago ...


Psalm 119:33-40                                                                          January 11
teens standing up for You; me standing up!                                 10201.11


Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness. 36


I'll admit, this is one area of my walk with God I frequently fail in. Hungering and thirsting for the Word of God should come naturally to me; unfortunately, it's usually the parts where God punishes the evil and rewards the good, not those where God loves the sinner and hates the sin. I don't understand how my Lord and my God could have His Son die on a cross for my sins. Our sins, maybe, but not mine. Lord, this is the greatest truth we can know, I just need help applying it daily to my life.


Still this cough lingers, but it's going away, praise the Lord! Carl Behm brought me home from work tonight (where I've lost eight pounds, but my blood pressure was a little high) and I'm sitting [as I was writing this] in front of a radiator Nancy Stonebreaker loaned me which feels great, and just now I'm relaxing with some of my books I picked up at our library's book sale (for free, too!) I have had a good, blessed day. Amen.


[Also with this journal entry you'll find prayer requests (reminders for me) for Bryan's father, Charlotte's cold, and Carl's therapy, as well as a news photo of the Space Shuttle Endeavour's launched the previous month with an F-15 flying by.]


Up to today ...



Jeffrey recognized straightaway the copy of Jon Scieszka & Lane Smith's The Stinky Cheese Man and other Fairly Stupid Tales (ISBN 0590476769) I brought home -- got it for fifty cents at a Minot Public Library book sale, and I haven't read it since college myself! Also scored on Mark Cotta Vaz's The Complete Star Wars Trilogy Scrapbook (ISBN 0590066536) also for fifty cents, and it's from 1997, so it's post-the Special Edition movies and pre-the prequel trilogy. Finished QB VII yesterday and ... just imagine everyone gets dragged through the mud at the end.


Fifteen burglaries in Minot ALREADY this year? I heard that statistic on the radio about an hour before I got back to this part of my message, and that over the last year in Minot (2015) where I live burglaries had gone up sixty percent from the previous year, 2014. Makes me shake my head and desire to be armed. (Or I am already -- you DON'T want to test me on that.) Step in my house and you aren't supposed to be there or we don't know you, I have a plot in the backyard for you. I have no problem with that.


Sunday night was also Martha's re-debut (?) with Minot Chamber Chorale, which I heard came with some new songs, new people, and all the regulars extolling how they have missed Martha so much. I can handle that ... just allow me one or two community activities that I can participate and (I hope) majorly contribute to and I can handle all the critiques about my singing and/or inability to carry a tune that others can dish out! Besides, I have other projects to engage my time and my brain cells. Books to finish, business to conduct, anger to get controlled.


After sending the kid back to their corners before school even started this morning and I still got them there, I got back home and sat back a bit before running upstairs and going through some older journals of mine. I'd been debating whether to excerpt an entry from twenty years ago (1996) or ten years ago (2006) but then I came on that 2002 passage you see up top. And last night SARAH volunteered to read something at the library that I'd count for their school-ordained Reading At Home, because she was nearly finished with the other library book she'd check out.


Yes, I have several shelves of books on our main floor, several boxes in our basement, and a few in storage upstairs (and the journals, don't forget the journals) and my loving children still insist they either have nothing to read or nothing they're interested in. Ok, if this plaint will get them one step closer to being lifelong learners with their own library cards, I can handle it. It's Jeffrey's turn to read tonight and Sarah can if she wishes; as for me, I checked out Meet The Peanuts Gang! (ISBN 9781481437219) by Charles M. Schulz, close to sixteen years dead now.


Adapted by Natalie Shaw, it's your basic introduction to Charlie Brown, Lucy, Snoopy, Linus, and the entire Peanuts gang who for a half century entertained comic strip reading audiences throughout the world. And do still in reruns, which I can in no way object to -- usually listed on your comics page as "Classic Peanuts" because no one's continued the strip (Schulz insisted) despite last year's The Peanuts Movie. I love reading them, I admit it. And whether it IS the longest story ever told by one human being ... so what, I love the story.


One very good grief after another,

David

Comments

Popular Posts