They Say Any Landing You Can Walk Away From ...





Several times in my university classes, particularly the junior and senior classes (early 90s, for those who know me), I remember thinking to myself I wanted to meet this Research guy who seemed to have all the answers to the best methods of teaching, best methods of learning, best methods of ... well, everything. I remember one in particular who seemed to cite this for everything (please forgive me, I'm thinking of this professor and not liking her very much because I feel she put a brick on my application making any teaching assignment impossible to get, and I wasn't entirely innocent in that either) not having an opinion she couldn't prove. Just a little bit more backbone in my university years could have changed my entire life ...


But I digress.


Kids and I got to Longfellow this morning without that much trouble, no shouting at each other, no brother and sister butting heads ... more than usual, no especial fights over the shower, and that is a praise God accomplishment! Especially now, when I've been finding myself angry over really small things. My temper is NOT something you want to trigger, and the people closest to me -- you know, the ones I actually know face-to-face off this electronic whatchamajigger -- I need to not suffer because of my carelessness. Quite honestly, at forty-four (dang, I had to think about THAT!) math that I'm used to doing in my head I'm having to double check myself on the calculator because some figure or function I'm just blanking on.


It makes me nervous.

At forty-four years, one month, and two days. To keep this from becoming too confessional, let me move over to the book I finished last night, Susan Casey's Women Heroes of the American Revolution (ISBN 9781613745830) about ... pretty much what the title says. Some of the twenty excerpted here I knew something of, but many I did not -- which is a good thing, because for you to learn anything there has to be something just out of your reach, doesn't there? Two former slaves, Southern belles, riders and spies (including another speculation on who Agent 355 was, at least one I had not read) and cross-dressers (two of the women here dressed as men so they could enlist) and what especially impressed me what the use of 18th and 19th century illustrations.


You say mathematics is not magic? What kind of wizard are you?


Since there's a lack of historical material -- well, prominent standard material -- on many of those women, the author really dug and cited her sources. I have to commend that. I got home from work last night and we settled in to spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner, for which Martha on the spaghetti and Jeffrey on the garlic bread (awesome brand our local Marketplace has!) did a great job! Not sure what Sarah, or at least I didn't hear what Sarah, did. Kudos to Jeffrey though; he followed me into the kitchen as I had my plate and served up my spaghetti for me and those are awesome nights at our house! Caught an episode of Once Upon A Time as well while we were eating. (Season two, episode three: "Lady of the Lake" with Lancelot aiding and abetting Snow and Emma getting home.)


Have you ever seen an ogre? I'm pretty sure I've dated a few.


David














  

Comments

Popular Posts