Ensign: Happy Birthday Olivia! (And You Too!)

All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                        8 January 2016


My co-worker's granddaughter Olivia is two years old today. Boy, is it a wonderful life ... at least when you're a toddler when everyone around you is smiling and you just about can't do anything wrong. I remember reading once that if a particular Egyptian custom has prevailed, today we would be celebrating someone's death day. Sounds more like a wake, though, if the guest of honor can't show up ...


But think a minute. In the days before accurate measurements of time, it would be a lot easier to remember when someone died (especially if there were witnesses to the death). Only two persons' birthdays are mentioned as being celebrated in Scripture, and they're both royalty -- Pharaoh's in the story of Joseph (Genesis 40:20) and Herod Antipas' before he consented to John's beheading (Matthew 14:6). We don't hear of anyone else celebrating them.


Truth, but we do know people knew and counted how old -- that is, how many years old -- they were ranging from the centuries the patriarchs from Adam onward lived in Genesis to the late first century (that is, in the eighties and nineties) to even "threescore years and ten" Moses says we're ordained to live in Psalm 90:10. And talk of days, months, and years appears throughout Scripture. But you and I don't know how many days WE'RE slated to live. And that is a good thing, isn't it?


A good thing, because we can live every day like it's the last and it's the one that counts!


I'd quote the whole of Psalm 90 here, but that would be cheating. And for Ensign this year, provided I'm able to, it's my goal to keep what you read and what I type and what God puts on my heart here something that I haven't done before, that is, not repeating myself. Corny as some of it may sound. Admonishing as some of it may sound. Convicting as some of it will sound. (To me too, I assure you.) Almost sounds like the good the bad and the ugly of regular Bible study.


Oh yeah, I'll admit that. There's moments I have to wonder "what the heck is He [for it's always God speaking in the Bible, as all Scripture is God-breathed -- that is, comes out of God's mouth through His people -- and useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, per 2 Timothy 3:16] saying here" but when I can't figure out what God is saying, it is a good idea to go back to what God has said. And that means study, through all the birth and other days you have.


Amen,

David


P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with you and I pray I am encouraging. If I am not or you just want me gone, please let me know -- thank you!

Thank You, Lord, that we are able to come to You in our praise and prayer, for You have promised to provide for all our needs according to Your riches in glory. Sometimes we don't know what to ask for, but may we get everything we hoped for. And Lord, please help me -- help us all -- to pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides and all over the world.


Thank You again, Lord, for each of us and all those in leadership and service both here and abroad. Thank You, Lord, for the opportunities we have been given along with the promise of new life through You. And may we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts