Don't Get Me Wrong

[It's not that I have nothing to share -- oh, there are the books I've read and the accomplishments of me and my family, and they're quite a lot -- but one goal I have (as opposed to a resolution I've made; this year I didn't make ANY) is to finish the writing that I have started over the last few years. I think if I share pieces of my writing from several different places with you I will be urged, or at least urge myself, to finish what I've started.


Visions of Will Scarlett in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves comes to mind when I hear that ... but that's for another day. Anyhoo, today I share with you what is currently page seven (apropos for January 7th) on my draft of "We Have Seen His Star In The East", my story which began/begins as the Wise Men before, during, and after their journey to see the infant Jesus in Bethlehem. And everyone are not what they seem. -- David]




----------------------------------------------------


Jesus was trying to climb up on the bench in Joseph and Mary's house and Amahl saw him just in time. With the quickness of childhood, he leapt over there and nearly knocked the bench and one or two tools onto the King himself! While the parents who looked after the babe who only recently was no longer wrapped in swaddling clothes (itchy things, Amahl remembered the sensation of his own not much longer ago) spoke in low tones with the conciliating wise ones, Amahl and Jesus related to each other in the language of play, Amahl grabbing Jesus' nose and him precociously, perhaps presciently reaching out for the recently unlamed boy's own, then raising his hand to meet Jesus' own pudgy five fingers and palm.


When he was not thinking how to keep Jesus in sight (the Prince of Peace took off in a fast crawl and tried to get up like he saw everyone else doing, but could not quite manage it) Amahl let himself be astonished.


He was playing baby games with the Son of God.


"Then you must get away," Balthasar told Joseph and Mary in a tone that was expected to be obeyed. "I do not how long Herod will allow us to delay reporting back to him,"


"Eh?" Gaspar who fought back a sneeze from the scent of the myrrh that spilled a few drops cried out. Melkior held down his hand before he could raise it to his nose; such a gesture was unbecoming to royalty. "Eh ... Eh ... Eh,"


Peek a boo, I see you!


--------


Gaspar relaxed himself and smiled. "EH CHOO!!!!" Evidently when royalty, or even upper class, sneezes they are not dignified about it any more than the working poor are. Gaspar shook himself as though stunned and begged his hosts' forgiveness as he took several steps back after covering his nose and mouth. And if anyone had looked toward the toddler Jesus just then, they would have seen him smile.


"But go now. Go to Egypt, there you will be safe."


Balthasar who with his colleagues had presented the gold, frankincense, and myrrh at the feet of Jesus (did this not seem the strangest thing, and the strangest gifts, to present to a child not two years old?) so leisurely and lovingly now practically shoved themselves out the door. The slightly out of range shout of their page told the magi to get moving.


And then Gaspar called out, "Amahl! Amahl, come now!"


It took a moment for the shepherd boy to respond to the deaf wise man, he rose and said, "Good bye, toddler Jesus. Good bye my King."


He whirled half around and reflexively reached for the crutch he had used for such a long time, the crutch still leaning against the wall. But then Amahl remembered he did not need it anymore.


"Lord," Amahl said, holding the crutch out to the toddler, "this us yours. You healed me and this is my gift to you." He smirked, "Just do not break a leg!"


"AMAHL!"


"I come my lords, I come!" He dashed through the small living room through the kitchen and out the door, deftly without nudging Joseph and Mary. But they themselves were already too busy packing to pay much attention to him or the rest of the entourage.


------


Conquering soldiers have never been on their best behavior in an occupied country. The fact that the majority of Roman citizens -- Italian soldiers -- viewed duty in Judaea as almost an insult, the place where military careers go to die. To said Gaius Baltus wielding his short sword was thrilled to death following the edict of a Jewish king to kill another Jewish king (by Jove, Gaius thought, Herod ought to be paraded in a triumph through the city of Rome and our

Comments

Popular Posts