Ensign: Jeffrey Has A Brother!





All ye inhabitant of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3




AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                        15 January 2016




"I want a brother."




My son Jeffrey, to me at breakfast while his sister was getting ready, Wednesday morning. I don't have to get too deep explaining that he and Sarah are mine and his mom Martha's ONLY two kids, unless there's either an immaculate conception or either Martha or I marry again after the other of us dies, he will not be getting a brother. And not even a full brother would he get, at most he would be a stepbrother or half-brother.




Have you ever realized a few hours later you missed out on a perfect teachable moment?




Jeffrey DOES have a brother. So do I. So does Sarah, so does Martha, so do all of us who claim Jesus the Christ as our Lord and Savior. There's a Dennis the Menace comic on the board by my pastor's office where Dennis is facing up to the pastor as he's heaving church with his parents and asking him, "If God is our Father, does that make Jesus my Brother?" (Well, the caption's written in all capitals, but I know if I type it that way here you'll think I'm yelling at you.)




IF GOD IS OUR FATHER, DOES THAT MAKE JESUS MY BROTHER?




Matthew 12:46-50. "While [Jesus] yet talked to the people, behold, mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him." Nothing's wrong with that; all of us want the people closest to us (our families, biological and otherwise) to be able to focus on us once in a while. And it's natural, all too natural, to feel slighted when our family doesn't acknowledge us. But here's Jesus modeling for us in a teachable moment, down two thousand years.




"Then one [most likely one of the disciples] said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without [in this context, "outside"], desiring to speak with thee.  But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren?" Jesus was certainly not ignorant of who His mother and brothers were, but during His time on Earth He knows He's supposed to be doing the will of His Father in heaven.




"And [Jesus] stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother." In the Lord's Prayer we say "Our Father, Who art in heaven," because He is, because we are, and you can become part of the family. I admit it, it's a tough leap of faith to make.




Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen. (Matthew 6:9-13) It doesn't even need to be this eloquent; like my son said a few years ago, "Lord have mercy and that's it?"

Yep, that's it. And Jesus IS your Brother.

David

P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager to action too! If you find that I'm not or you want me to get lost, just let me know -- thank you!
Thank You, Lord, that we can come to you in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don't know what they are. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and around the world.



Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You. I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.







Comments

Popular Posts