There Will Be Potluck Tonight!

Thirteen years ago ...


1 Corinthians 15:50-58                                             January 20
IFES in England; Patrick's game                              10301.20


Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the Lord, forasmuch as you know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord. 58


One hundred fifty-six days in Halliday [North Dakota, where I lived with Martha at the time I wrote this], Martha will be home tonight. I don't want her finding me sick. For that matter, I don't want to be sick either, - it keeps me from doing what ought to be done. Yesterday our church had its business meeting -- I should be more involved, but I realized I'm not a voting member of Our Savior's [Lutheran Church]. I teach Sunday School, I play in the bell choir, and I do have that personal relationship with Jesus Christ. But a human organization is needed while we're on Earth. Amen.


Martha coming home


Up to right now ...


I felt very Inigo with today's title! And looking back at the journal entry above that I wrote in 2003, I'd forgotten I played in a bell choir. And as a few days ago I'd talked with Martha about maybe sharing some common interests with them, among them playing or singing in a choir ... I wonder. We want to be interlocking pieces of a puzzle, we don't WANT to be the same, do we? She picks up my slack and weak points with her own strength and strong points, and I hers. But we both can be better communicators with others and each other. Or in the words of Jerry Springer, taking care of ourselves and each other.

It's a tricky thing, being beheaded.


The Sanson family that held the franchise on public executions for two centuries up to the late eighteenth-century French Revolution appreciated this. So much that the executioner, after a long hard day during the Reign of Terror (the first four, five years of the Revolution itself; Cleveland Moffett's 1962 book The Reign of Terror makes that distinction between reign and revolution quite clear) would detach the blade and take it home to keep it from rusting. Guillotining criminals went on in France until 1981, if I remember correctly; it's going to enjoy a vogue -- at least beheading will -- during the reign of the Antichrist, see Revelation 20:4 in the New Testament.

"Loyalty enforcement facilitators", I believe they're called in the Left Behind series.


I am SO glad to be driving our Lumina again! You may remember from yesterday's post that Robert and Donovan (thank you!) were getting Martha and I a new battery for the car while we were both at work. The first one they got, someone at Kmart had forgotten to put aside because it was DEAD, but the second one they exchanged it for made it purr like a kitten. Martha picked up the car after she got off work last night and it was there when I got home to our dinner of pork chops, homemade fries, whole kernel corn and the drink of your choice. And settling in to an episode of Junior (just as we call Once Upon A Time "OUAT", the spoken shorthand of MasterChef Junior is now Junior).


Can't wait for Sarah and Jeffrey to start cooking things we can't pronounce!


Tonight after work -- and this is one of the few times I'll go into the future in my postings -- there's a potluck at Bethany Lutheran held for choir members and their families. And I must admit, I don't mind NOT having to think about what's for dinner tonight; not that I usually have to make it (remember, Martha gets home first and they usually don't want to wait for me if they're really hungry; I can take that), but I appreciate a little variety like I suspect we're likely to see. Us, we're bringing a pack of Chips Ahoy cookies with brownie filling. And we presume not everyone will bring dessert. Or guillotines.


You'd make an excellent Dread Pirate Roberts too,


David

Comments

Popular Posts