Maryland Uses The Metric System





Saturday after the kids and I stopped at North Country Woodworks where Jeffrey and a fellow Cub Scout of his have had their cars worked on for Tuesday's Pinewood Derby (a volunteer act for which I am extraordinarily grateful, considering my own woodworking skills; Jeffrey chose to number it 86 without even knowing what that number signifies ... Larry who owns the business supplied "because he'll 'eighty-six' the competition!") And in this context, meaning Jeffrey will win over them all!


That's sounding so Middle-Earth ... oh wait, that's "One Ring to rule them all"!


It could happen. The cars will be at the Pinewood Derby tomorrow night so there's virtually no chance of it getting broken or lost before the race -- I have no problem with that, and I took a picture of the car to show Martha when we met her at Burger King on her lunch break. This wasn't that long after we'd had breakfast at Breakfast With The Boys at Bethany; I have to bring the kids with me because Martha works Saturday, and they offered to go! I couldn't complain about that.


Especially with the Bible study I got to be part of; got me thinking of Roman spies in the synagogue.


As we were finishing lunch and Jeffrey was catching up on some college basketball game on one of Burger King's big-screen tvs, I noticed the sign one person held up that had today's title on it. I wondered aloud what "Maryland Uses The Metric System" even means -- is it supposed to be an insult? Oy vey ... on this Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day (seriously, I just heard that on the radio!) I recount my kids being creative before school with two ribbons left over from our Christmas tree.


So they're red, not yellow ribbons and we had no oak tree to tie them around.


They tied one end to the top of a stand just higher than me standing and the other to an arm of one of our rolling chairs in the dining room and the other to the other arm of the chair and the bathroom door knob and started limbo-ing. Jeffrey CHEATS (I have to say it, it's true) by diving under the ribbon facing front and he wonders why the knees on all his pants wear out faster than the rest of them. But we got out the door ok and got the ice scraped off, again, and got to school well ahead of time!


Yesterday was a day to be thankful Bethany did not set out table knives.


Seriously, I thought at our annual business meeting two older gentlemen were about to go at it regarding an item of our budget that couldn't really be quantified, I reckoned. Since I don't have Sunday school to teach this rotation, I was with Robert and Sharon and three of the sisters there where the minutes of last year's meeting were agreed upon and a job description of a new Sunday school/youth coordinator -- not sure what the official title is -- was approved along with the budget.


Oh, Martha and I are two of the three Western North Dakota synod delegates from Bethany too.


Bismarck bound in June! So we all got home roughly the same time from church and mostly just lazed around. Then Martha developed a headache that was part-caffeine withdrawal part-rushing herself eating (honey, I'm sorry but sometimes this is so true) and she laid back for a while and still felt so bad, despite fixing dinner a little later, that she would not go to Chamber Chorale practice. I think we all appreciated that.


Before dinner, I went out to get her a triple shot mocha, J a PowerAde, and S and I F'reals.


Treating us is sometimes so worth it! Sunday afternoon's usually the others of the clan playing on their tablets while I'm catching up on some reading or writing something to be read. Come on, I'm not THAT dull, there's just only three tablets in our house right now. So we settled in and caught one episode each of Once Upon A Time and then MasterChef Junior (which in our home vernacular now are OUAT and Junior!), and then to bed.


Days are getting longer contrary to opinion, even in metric!


David

Comments

Popular Posts