Where DO I Begin?

Fifteen years ago ...


Romans 5:1-11                                                         January 5
being faith to You and Martha; CT                          10101.05
K-12 CAMP'N


For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 6


So Martha's dad says I look like a movie star -- I pray that is a good thing! I don't usually take stock in a photograph of me, but I'm not outright disgusted by it either. To know that death -- a bend in the road -- is not the end of the road makes life worth living, gives it a purpose and urgency that it didn't have before. Making a long journey to see Martha and others important to me requires my full direction and contribution to have at least a working vehicle by summer. Lord, guide me to be better.


[my] Dad's laser surgery


Pretty much as it comes to me ...


Sunday night Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I bonded over peeling potatoes for dinner. Jeffrey wanted to help out after we'd started making plans for dinner during the week in order to cut down on some of our expenses (e.g., not be prompted to go out to the grocery store every night, expending gas to get there, among other things) and I encouraged Martha to let him. I feel her reluctance was from scraping some skin off her own finger Christmas Eve when she was peeling potatoes for dinner at her sister Lesa's house about as much as our son -- to be polite -- has two speeds, warp and unconscious.


Look at his writing; he often gets in such a rush to get done what he's doing that he gets crazy, but that night he did not. Indeed, it was MY potato peeling technique that got the most ... negative critique. Days I should have enlisted like my father, my grandfather, and two of my brothers did ...


Sunday morning, though, was when I learned to do something I didn't expect. Just before I'd settled in the pew at church and I was ready to head home (surprised?), Pastor Gerald asked me because the person slated to handle the Powerpoint (or is it PowerPoint?) slide presentation with which people followed the order of the church service and don't have to fidget with the hymnals to find the right song or the right prayer to say aloud was unavailable whether I could do it.


After being shown that all I had to do was press the down arrow to advance to the next slide and letting this month's Faith and Care coordinator Brenda she'd have to find another communion assistant (for I had already signed up to do that) I got seated straightaway. And thanked from the center aisle for filling in -- half-jokingly, I asked the congregation to pray for me on doing this!


Sunday morning up in the balcony controlling Powerpoint I also had an excellent vantage point to see Sarah and Jeffrey singing in Chapel Choir and later Nadine the choir director and Martha singing a duet during offering. It was awesome to hear them all, and my own job, the one I didn't expect but I needed because I feel in the house of God if I'm not doing SOMETHING why am I there even got recognized for it.


There was no Sunday school that morning (it starts up next week at Bethany), so after arriving at home it was crash time. For ME, anyway; it seems no one else at my house falls asleep in the afternoons though they all look like they want to! The Once Upon A Time seasons one and two DVDs I got the family for a Christmas present were an especially good investment; by Sunday night, we've already watched the first four discs of season one!


From the pilot episode to "The Stable Boy" (which gives backstory on why the Evil Queen aka Regina hates Snow White aka Mary Margaret) it's no lie that once -- pardon the pun -- you get started with a good show it's hard to pull away from it! Especially when you know (like Martha and I) what happens next (so do the kids, but they don't know what it took for all the characters to get where they are as of the last episode they've watched).


Anyway, besides our own favorite shows that everybody watches on their tablets, some of which make sense and some not (to me) on New Year's Day my family and I went to see the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks movie, The Road Chip. A few days later I looked up how old the Chipmunks actually are, and Alvin and the Chipmunks originally debuted in 1958. I knew the Chipettes were later (premiering in the 1983 cartoon) but not that much!


Within the story, how old are they supposed to be? Just curious; late middle schoolers, junior high, and somehow they're the only anthropomorphic chipmunks in the world, and none of the humans say boo about it? Hey, it's something I think about ... that, and how the people I meet and the books I've read are making me a different person than I was five years ago (that would be January 5, 2011). But it is getting late here, and I need to get ready for tonight.


But first some lunch, David



Comments

Popular Posts