Where Was I? The Big Apricot.

... so the headache went away, thank God, at about four thirty yesterday -- oh wait, I haven't finished Saturday's account, which really was not much that I remember save at Original Comics and Collectibles on Main Street I picked up three Tales of the Teen Titans issues from the mid-80s, issues 56 through 58 cover dated August through October 1985 respectively. The first two parts of this arc I remembered reading many times at my friend Stephen's house when I was over there sometimes growing up.


He and I were the two big comic collectors in the neighborhood; essentially, the story's about Cyborg of the Titans (they're never called Teen Titans in the book that I remember) taking a chance on having his external mechanized parts replaced with organic polymers without telling his teammates, trying to look normal. Meanwhile the other Titans are fighting a group of villains who are more powerful than they are, but not as effective as a team, which ultimately works against them.
Amazing how when you reread a story from decades earlier you discover new things you just didn't pick up on before.


And I don't think I'd ever read issue 58, where one of the villains refers to Metropolis, Superman's hometown as "The Big Apricot", like New York City gets the nickname of "The Big Apple" in our world. Not exactly the fruit I would have picked out, but still ... I thought it was just a coloring error on one villain's costume, but evidently the original Shimmer (one of the villains) had quite a bit of her belly and legs exposed on her costume.


Nothing R-rated of course, or the Comics Code Authority seal wouldn't have gotten on it. And I had totally forgotten about Jericho! I guess on the current Teen Titans or Teen Titans Go! cartoons on Cartoon Network, where my kids would know some of these characters from, it would be hard to demonstrate someone who's superpower is to possess other people -- oh, and who doesn't speak either.


Sunday at church the kids got in practice for "Aaron The Allergic Shepherd" the Christmas program they will perform next Sunday and Martha practiced hand bells and sang in choir, I got to read the lessons in the pulpit with a little more enthusiasm than I usually do -- it helped that the Zephaniah passage began with an exclamation! Excellent crowd, and during the time in between services we brought up how our education program is going to be needing new leadership next year.


It behooves us to look at the way another church in our area's handling it, for are we not all on the same team? Our Sunday school and overall church attendance, especially of younger couples, has gone down since the turn of the century; our entire education team is stepping down with the end of this church year in May, it's about time to fine tune ourselves. That afternoon we took in the Singing Christmas Tree which was a fine performance, but compared to past years it was underwhelming.


Monday. Got the kids up and ready for school, they showered and I went to see Martha at her work because she'd prepared something she forgot to drop off Friday, and then I got asked (texted) if I would please pick her up a large caramel mocha with skim milk at McDonald's and bring it to her. Pity I didn't hear the phone when she did text me, so I cut it close getting what I needed for work, getting the mocha, and getting to work. But dang it, that cost about as much as a Starbucks!


David

Comments

Popular Posts