It Is What It Is!

For Christmas we got our oldest in-Minot nephew Mathew a T-shirt with this very phrase, which at eighteen years is about all we get out of him! Christmas Eve was and is the big meal and present-opening for our extended family, and this year's celebration was at Mathew (and Brandon and Trevor's parents') Allan and Lesa's house after the Christmas Eve service at Bethany. So let's see, all together there for dinner and plenty of cookies Lesa, Martha's oldest sister, baked herself (could give Carlo a run for his money) there was her family, our parents Robert and Sharon -- I say our because my parents died years ago -- Margaret and her daughters Breanna expecting next year and Josceline, Mary, Donovan, and my own family unit; Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I.


Great meal, great gifting (several of mine were Star Wars-themed items because they know I'm a fan and we -- that is, Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I -- had bought tickets for the 3:25 showing of The Force Awakens on Christmas Day! At first it was going to be just me going as I'd bought the ticket the week before with Martha and the kids seeing The Road Chip (that's the latest Alvin and the Chipmunks movie), but I put on my puppy dog pout ... ok, they really didn't want me going by myself, so the weekend before Martha bought the three of them tickets to the Star Wars movie and it's a good thing as the theaters are still getting packed for it! So after church Christmas morning where among other things Martha sang with Nadine the choir director and we got to sit in the balcony,


we settled down at the house for a few hours before getting to The Force Awakens and needless to say it was a lot of fun to watch! And the further adventures of Luke, Han, and Leia (who are really getting long in the tooth, but that's to be expected set thirty years after Return of the Jedi) finding themselves the Rebellion again after the Empire's successor state First Order blasts the New Republic capital world to bits along with the system it's in. New characters come to the forefront (ex-Stormtrooper Finn, scavenger Rey, Rebel/Resistance pilot Poe, BB-8) and the transition is smoother than I expected. Of course there are still questions -- any decades-old franchise would generate them -- but whether this is your first or seventh Star Wars film, you're in for a treat!


The parts of our weekend we were not in church (Sunday morning, one service, 9 am) or at work (Saturday morning and afternoon, Martha at Burger King, 7 am to 4 pm) or out and about getting general needed groceries at what we prayed was a more reasonable price (Sunday evening, Menards, 6 pm) the four of us were sitting down and watching the first season of Once Upon A Time, the series with fairy tale characters adapted to Storybrooke, Maine in our "Land Without Magic" that we enjoy. I bought the DVDs for the first two seasons because the kids had not seen them -- they started watching with season three set in Neverland -- and Martha and I could use a good catch-up ourselves. We didn't start watching the show heavily until episode seven of season one.


And to think I was concerned with the kids wondering where some of the characters they've seen currently would be. I asked about this with Sarah sitting next to me, and she said we'll just roll with it. Insert parental laughter. Next year -- heck, right now -- I need to do better for my family than I have been doing and credit them with more ... well, with more sense than I do. In the sense that they sense what I do and believe that's how to react, instead of pause and reflect before I act on a silly moment of anger. Yesterday was my one (that I can recall) Murphy's Law governed day of the year, anything that could have gone wrong did go wrong. But when we went to dinner at the end of the day, Jeffrey offered to buy mine. Small thing, but victories are made up of small things.


David



Comments

Popular Posts