Is the "s" or the "c" silent in "scent"?

I look outside my house or office, and it FINALLY looks like winter outside!


At least, the snow is coming steadily down -- oh, not in humongous clumps but in flakes like the ones I saw falling at the beginning and end of the live-action movie How The Grinch Stole Christmas from the turn of the century. The kids wanted to watch that after we got home Sunday from Bethany Lutheran's Christmas cantata in which Martha sang twice in the morning and the Sunday School Christmas program "Aaron The Allergic Shepherd" in the afternoon AND did some last-minute Christmas shopping for the members of our area family who're not so easy to shop for ...


We'll be assembling together (that is, the extended family and we) in two days' time, and that blows my mind. And despite my thinking this weekend that Martha and the kids missed out on a party this past Saturday night that we were invited to because they were helping each other get sick, I'll still come. Read what you want to into that. We do owe Martha's parents a lot especially after last night, when the serpentine belt on the van I was driving shredded on my way to pick up the kids and I had to call them to bring the kids to me and the van happened to stall out near a garage ...


And the garage's owner whose dad happens to own a towing business was driving by after we -- the garage owner, his co-worker riding with him, and I -- had gotten the van into a parking lot, as Martha's parents were coming with Sarah and Jeffrey to meet me (because I hadn't gotten there yet to pick them up). Was able to get the car towed for $50, and got a serpentine belt and had it installed at the garage for $85. And we owe Martha's parents for that because they paid for both of those. Martha and I said and say thank you a lot last night, but I wonder if they believe us.


I mean, if we were really thankful for getting the help we need, wouldn't we STOP screwing up like that? There's a Blue Christmas service at Bethany night for people who don't feel ... I guess you'd call it "in the Christmas spirit" but I think there is more to it than that that I had considered going to but I owe Martha's parents because of last night, so I won't go to that. Instead, I can get the kids who will have been at their house since their last day of school for the next week and a half -- yes, Christmas vacation begins for them, and today at school's movies, pizza parties, and wearing their pajamas!


I miss that. Heck, I don't even remember that when I was in elementary school!


David

Comments

Popular Posts