Evil forces are always afoot. They're lousy fliers.

Friday morning before I got to work I bought an item I saw the week before at Force of Habit, a local hobby shop in town. All eight books of Alan Dean Foster's Spellsinger series, all eight paperbacks wrapped up, for five dollars. Consider it an early birthday present to myself (I turn 44 this Friday) ... I first got into the series in the mid to late 80s when I got a Spellsinger three in one omnibus; the title character's a human named Jonathan Thomas Meriwether (Jon-Tom for short) who discovers in the world he's drawn into by the wizard Clothahump's magic that he's able to play on a guitar-like duar and sing the songs he knows to have ... interesting and unpredictable magical effects that are often just what he and his companions need. I make a big deal on Jon-Tom being human because in that world, pretty much all the mammals and birds -- none of the reptiles save turtles such as Clothahump, for some reason -- are intelligent bipeds. And the adjustment of pre-law student Jon-Tom to becoming magic making alongside Mudge the lecherous otter, Talea the auburn haired thief ... but I'm getting ahead of myself. Finished the first two books (again) this weekend and on the third!


Friday night I got home and Martha had ordered the three pizza special from Pizza Hut for us and the kids (or is that we and the kids? I should know) and had also rented a few movies to watch this weekend. When I arrived, Jeffrey was playing Madden [20]10 on our Wii and wasn't too thrilled about it, so he said. The girls got off their tablets and we got started on our pizzas and soda while watching The Boxtrolls, an animated film everyone but me had seen before (me because I fell asleep last time we had it! Jeffrey said he'd make sure I didn't this time). I was more impressed with it than I thought I would be, I must admit. Sad thing, to get so obsessed over a white hat and the privilege of entering to the Tasting Room as the main villain Archibald Snatcher was -- especially when you are deathly allergic to cheese! Also we've got enough groceries to last us a while ... I just have to be careful of my own blood sugar levels, they're getting high again.


Saturday morning, Martha went to work at Burger King for the day while the kids and I slept in. There was no Breakfast with the Boys because there was an ongoing plumbing problem at Bethany Lutheran (but it was fixed by Sunday morning worship, hallelujah) and also most of the congregation's energies were devoted to the annual lutefisk dinner, which due to the aforementioned plumbing problem was held at First Lutheran Church instead ... and NO, I don't know what number Bethany is! Unusual for us -- at least, for Sarah and me, we have a bit of the wanderlust in us, while Martha and Jeffrey are the homebodies -- we did not leave the house Saturday until it was time to go the annual Renaissance Feast. Our tickets were reserved for the last night and in addition to the great


eating (the prime rib I had covered HALF THE PLATE) we get an awesome show. With the willing suspension of disbelief ... though I find it just a mite hard to believe that Martha thought no one would miss her she wasn't in Minot Chamber Chorale. This was my wife's first season that she hadn't participated in the Renaissance Feast, that she was instead watching it. And it seemed nearly everyone in Chorale who knows Martha harped how much they missed her most effusively -- not really implying I kept her away or that singing is the only redeeming talent in the world, but I digress.


Sunday morning we got to church and the kids and I had Sunday school. My Parable Playhouse class was fifth grade, and for a change the angel puppet speaking to Joseph was actually human-looking; past that you'd have to believe that Joseph the leopard and Mary the fox gave birth to Jesus the Moose. By the anointing of the Holy Spirit, I felt no need to "get it right"!


Sunday afternoon after finally putting up the Christmas tree, we headed to a NaNoWriMo wrap up party hosted by Molly our area municipal liaison ...


To be continued, David

Comments

Popular Posts