When in doubt, bears. Bears with LASER VISION.

WORD COUNT: 16,769


Hm. How would I work "bears with laser vision" (in the twelfth box of that calendar I'll be referring to this month) into "President Churchill"? Unless it's either not in a literal way or the bears turn out to be toys at the end of the book which are "Made In India", with about the opprobrium in that story I'm expecting "Made In China" has in ours. Seriously, I had a scene come up yesterday where Mahatma Gandhi and Amy Carmichael -- who never met in our world, but I've had a story brewing for years where the advocate of nonviolence for an independent India and the Christian missionary who spent most of her life in India met. And politics has made stranger bedfellows ...


Just when I think the TV show Once Upon A Time can't work anything else in, in one episode you've got Christian, Greek, and Arthurian mythology (and please don't be offended by "mythology" here, it its broadest context it refers to a system people use to explain the world around them) flowing so well. The short short version: Merlin comes to the Holy Grail in the desert and drinks from it after asking permission and looking upward and that's how he gets his magic and his immortality. Hundreds of years later, after establishing a reputation as a magician and healer, he meets and falls in love with Nimue (nim-oo-EH) whose village was destroyed by an evil man. To defeat him, and for Merlin to not use his magic to kill him lest he turn "dark", he proceeds to the Flame of Prometheus,


I presume named for the Titan from Greek mythology who brought fire down from the gods for man, and with the Holy Grail uses the Flame to forge Excalibur and Nimue -- whom Merlin had thought dead after the gold-masked man who destroyed her village stabbed her, only to be stabbed himself with Excalibur; it turns out Nimue too drank from the Holy Grail and now has/had eternal life -- becomes. the. first. Dark. One. To make sure her power can't be taken away, Nimue breaks Excalibur into the Dark One's dagger (the tip) and the remainder of the sword which Merlin puts in the Stone. And that's just the earliest within-the-show storyline -- I think if I say anything more (other than Excalibur gets forged back together and now the current Dark One holds it, my head will explode!


And Martha really got miffed with me when I shared that next week's episode was two hours long? And that's it. Oy. I don't understand it myself when I read a plot summary! I got home after work last night and the kids were already home from their choir practice and Martha was about to leave for hers. Dinner was pretty much whatever we wanted that was at the house -- I made a salad for me; we have a LOT of salad fixings and I'm the only one who regularly eats them. They have to get used up ... then the kids read to me, and with me the only one to read TO it was fun going back and forth. Today is National Redhead Day (it showed) and Martha and I got Jeffrey his first Christmas present. Seriously, I am feeling so organized it's sick.


For the ones I love, David

Comments

Popular Posts