Kill your MC. We can rebuild him. Bigger, faster, stronger.

WORD COUNT: 12,200


Oh, I have no plans for killing off Winston Churchill -- correction, John Churchill, President of the United States in my Nano story this year. I changed his name because even though I know a few Winstons in real life, I didn't think it would work as an American first name at that time, late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. In fact, that's a homage to Churchill's real-life ancestor's first name, John Churchill, Duke of Marlborough from the late seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries. Also it ties in with who might prove to be his arch foe in this story -- at least, the guy who's under orders to try to kill him and takes the contract for reasons of his own, real-life gangster and killer John Dillinger. But there is SO FREAKIN' MUCH going on in this tale and I haven't finalized when it starts and when it ends; I mean, this weekend alone I worked in Dale Carnegie, Henry Kaiser, Edith Keeler, Henry Morgenthau and I'm keeping a spy plot going in Norway overrunning Denmark ...


This weekend even though I didn't write as much as I would have liked (shoot, that I was even focused on) I did with my wife Martha and our kids Sarah and Jeffrey get to spend way more time with other family in town than we usually do. Saturday night some hours after Martha came home from work we went up to our brother and sister-in-law's Allan and Lesa's and while the women were making treats for a party which I shall not reveal, Brandon my nephew and Allan and Lesa's middle son shanghaied me for a game of chess. Must have heard that Jeffrey and I play it from time to time, and he's in (or trying to get started?) a chess club at his school and wanted to play a game, and we ended up stalemating. Then the boys -- this would be me, Jeffrey, Brandon, and Brandon's younger brother Trevor played a rousing game of Chutes and Ladders which my son won.


Sunday we were at church, the kids and I had our last Sunday lesson on Jonah in Sunday school, and later in the afternoon, after I'd forgotten the ranch dip everyone but me craves and I went back out in shall we say not the best mood to get it ... we also caught up on some favorite movie watching this weekend, having rented Brave, Wreck-It Ralph, Honey I Blew Up The Kid, and The Tale of Desperaux. The kids had seen Brave but not my wife Martha and I -- we needed it to find out what Merida who's now appearing on Once Upon A Time is all about, Wreck-It Ralph we finally got to see AND hear (the kids and I watched it last year at the Heritage Park but definitely didn't catch it all),  Honey the kids hadn't seen but we'd forgotten about, while Desperaux was all new and, forgive me for saying so, wasn't quite the knock out of the ballpark I expected.


I need to sit back now, ok?


David

Comments

Popular Posts