Ensign: In the name of all that is pure and good, don't read your novel so far.

All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                                        20 November 2015


WORD COUNT: 32,905


Oh don't worry, I have NO intention of reading all of "President Churchill" right now.


Like the real life Churchill once said after reading a particularly onerous report, as it is now my novel has defended itself well against the risk of ever being read. Or something like that. And as you know who have been following my own, or who may be even exerting your own, efforts to write a 50,000 word plus story for National Novel Writing Month, all the words in the world are no good, the best story is no good if someone doesn't read it, and after reading it tells people about the message in it.


Now if I go into EVERY message the Bible has for us and our lives [I say that deliberately, for we are far more than the lives we're living now], we'll be here a while -- and I don't think I have enough coffee, tea, or your preferred relaxing beverage of choice for all of us! So let's see if we can boil this down a bit; not because knowing your Bible isn't important, but there isn't going to be a final exam of how much Scripture you know so you can be with God for eternity after you die.


That's a work.


And while works are certainly important -- they reflect Who you now believe in, they don't get you past the admitting gate into heaven. There's no point in knowing all the Scripture and praying all the prayers -- and here's where I'll admit that my own prayers are not as grand-sounding as you might expect of me; indeed, they're often simple in form -- if doing that does not change your own life, or make you want to change your own life to make it more reflective of God Who created you, as a result of what you've heard.


So I pray in making this really simple, in the name of all that is pure and good, Who is God, that I'm not losing anybody. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16, part of what Jesus shared with Nicodemus when that Pharisee came to Him at night, and he conceded that Jesus was a great man -- a great teacher sent from God, even; called him "Rabbi" -- and admitted to the miracles He'd done.


Jesus HAD to be a great man, but it doesn't stop there. You don't have to make sense out of being "born again" or "this is My body given for you" or "this is My blood shed for you" to believe in Him. In fact the more you try to make sense the more likely you won't make a move. God gave His Son, and you give Him yourself.


For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

It is so simple.

David


P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with all of you in my address book, and I hope to be an encourager to action too! If you find I'm not or you want me to get lost, please let me know -- thank you!


Thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in prayer and praise and that You will provide for all our needs, even when we don't know what they are sometimes. More often than I admit. Let us pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides there and around the world.


Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You. And I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.



Comments

Popular Posts