Wear a silly hat. Why? Because I told you to!

WORD COUNT: 3,336


Is that true, I really don't like myself and I project that by saying no one else likes me?


But I digress. My magnum opus for this month's National Novel Writing Month is called "President Churchill", an alternate history where Winston Churchill, not Franklin Roosevelt, became the thirty second President of the United States. This isn't as far out as it sounds; Winston Churchill was half-American (his father was British, his mother American) so I just switched the order for my story. In real life Churchill actually referred to it the first time he spoke as Prime Minister of Great Britain before Congress. I'm already on day three of this and in a way I'm sure where I'm going and I'm not sure too. This morning I was thinking about the movie poster for The Butterfly Effect which had on top the expression, "Change one thing. Change everything." And the one thing I did change I find has changed a lot of things, more than I expected. AND IT'S ONLY DAY THREE!


Sunday morning was a lot of fun, All Saints Day in both services and my wife Martha was there with the choir to sing at both, while between services I had Parable Playhouse to teach, once again the story of Jonah. And I had extra help -- besides Dalyce who's usually the script girl/assistant whom I saw in half Breanna (not our niece, the oldest daughter of another couple in our church) was also there and it's a good thing because with me and Breanna and Dalyce and the four kids there we had just enough to read all the parts for the play. And it wasn't the calmest class, I say in a good way; there was also cake being served to honor three men who'd spent the greater part of their adult lives volunteering to do whatever needed to be done at Bethany and we got some before class started, then twelve minutes into class I've got one of the youth leaders bringing cupcakes around leftover from a wedding held Saturday. Let parents nail Donna for sugaring their kids up, I figure.


MERLIN: Just like riding a bike.


CHARMING: Well, it won't be long until Arthur knows we're here ...
How do you know what a bike is?


MERLIN: Do you really think all my prophecies came true because of luck?


Not quite sure whether Once Upon A Time's iteration of the wizard Merlin also sees the future because he ages backwards (he seems to imply it, but in the Arthurian mythos all his "prophecies" have already happened for him!) but watching last Sunday's episode with my kids and then my wife Martha last night ... I was touched by the tongue-in-cheek reference to A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Now my wife Martha and I have not seen Brave, but our kids Sarah and Jeffrey have so they had to help with some of the plot details re: Merida and her wanting to free her brothers. And that was then. "Now" in Storybrooke, Emma the current Dark One holds onto Merida's heart and uses her to threaten what Rumpelstiltskin the previous Dark One (and I think The Once and Future Dark One) loves -- in this case, his wife Belle. SO he becomes the hero by ONE ACT and becomes worthy to pull Excalibur from the stone. Rumpel's now the hero, but not the savior -- how will this work?


This morning was one of the two mornings of the school year my wife Martha and I both get to take the kids there because we have their parent-teacher conferences. And my wife Martha's parents Robert and Sharon both met us there, Robert himself for the first time because Friday was his last day at work. He still had to go back yesterday to return his work shirts -- but again, I ... you know. So this morning we met with Jeffrey's teacher Mrs. Hoffer and Sarah's teacher Mrs. Larson, and both the kids are doing very well -- slightly excelling, in fact, for their grade level. Mrs. Hoffer is concerned about Jeffrey following directions and holding still toward the end of the day, and a surprising personality inventory showed he's way more into organization than I expected (in eduspeak, he's not "beachball" or "puppy", he's more "clipboard" or "microscope") while Sarah is SO helpful and SO nice and SO all these her teacher gushed that she half-joked she'd keep her there at year's end!


Now to get the kids or a more even keel at home, David


Comments

Popular Posts