Today is national WRITE LIKE YOU'RE ON FIRE day.

WORD COUNT: 50,043 (50,588)


Let me explain why I have two word counts. The first one -- the one NOT in parentheses -- is my word count combining the words I have typed out and saved on my computer (about seven-tenths of it) and the words I have written out. Since I was not in the mood to type in another fifteen thousand words in the next few hours, I had a lot of cut and pasting to do. Yesterday I was able to count up the words I had written out longhand and add them to what I'd already typed to complete my first draft.


A very rough first draft.


Just now as I type this (1254 hours CST) I've had my entire novel text validated so it has exceeded the 50,000 word limit for National Novel Writing Month. So I WON! Hence the count IN parentheses; there's usually a word count lag between whatever software you use to write and Nano's. In this case it was several hundred words' difference, but I'm ok with that. Now I sit back for a week, put out the fire which I didn't start, it's been always burning since the world's been turning ...


You're not convinced Billy Joel stole that from me, are you?


Meh. This weekend had me participating in the last two write-ins of the month. For the uninitiated, those are two-hour or so events held at various places around town where we exchange comments and laughs and the occasional Word War (writing the most words in a given time, usually twenty minutes). Since I'm writing out my words at these, I usually lose -- it takes me more time to print than type anyway, but again I'm ok with that.


Happy Birthday yesterday to THREE of my sisters!


This weekend was also occupied by family dishwashing (seriously, I usually end up doing this myself but I find it relaxing) well after a Saturday morning Breakfast with the Boys where our main course was an Italian breakfast torte, essentially eggs with various breakfast meats tasting like an inverted pizza, and Sunday with church was the Sunday after Thanksgiving where there was no Sunday school yet we had a great service with the kids singing in Carol Choir,

Mary is my sister-in-law, and Rosalind and Rosemary are my half-sisters.


And I almost forgot to mention Thanksgiving Day itself, darn me! And I was about NOT to go with my family over to Robert and Sharon's house due to a bit on infighting, but I'm glad I did. The dinner that Martha, Robert, Sharon, Margaret, Breanna, Josceline, Donna, Donovan, Mary, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I had was a filling one and we didn't have to crash afterward, which was ok. We brought a few games to play and we played, then we headed home.


Christmas shopping began Sunday for us, and I didn't even realize it until we got home.


A trip to our local Menards yesterday for milk and cereal turned out that way -- you know how it goes, we meet up with family and friends (this was AFTER I got home from the last write-in I'm at this month and Martha and the kids had done a sterling job cleaning the kitchen and the kids had read their twenty days of Reading At Home for the month -- sometimes that's like herding cats!) catch up and see something someone we think someone we're giving to would really like ...


Christmas Eve is our big gift exchange, and Christmas Day we mostly crash.


And we get ideas from everybody! I was looking at a coloring book -- A COLORING BOOK! -- for the new Star Wars movie next month and Jeffrey pulled me away saying they might get that for me. Yes, I really want to see The Force Awakens, but I likely won't see it until Christmas Day (and it very likely will still be at our local cinema); we saw Jeffrey having fun with a Simon electronic game and already at nine before he made a mistake, and I saw something Martha wanted ...

She reads these from time to time. You think I'm telling her what I plan to get her in here?


If you do, you need help!


David



Comments

Popular Posts