Who Will Win A Billion?

At least within the context of Vikas Swarup's debut novel Q&A (ISBN 9780743267489), today's title is the name of the Indian version of the game show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? It's been adapted -- though I couldn't tell you how well -- as the movie Slumdog Millionaire also set in India although the character undergoes a significant name change, from Ram Mohammed Thomas in the book to Jamal Malik in the movie. The story begins with Thomas having WON the one billion rupees (US $15,342,150) for the first time in the show's history, but he got arrested right after he won for the authorities believe there's NO. FREAKING. WAY. a penniless waiter from Mumbai should know all the answers. So as he's telling his story to a police inspector and the tape's being played back, he tells the story of how he was at different points in life that enabled him to know the answers to the questions. Picked this up used Sunday, finished in this morning.


To be quite honest, I haven't been able to focus on much else. Monday at about one pm I fell over at work (it's a toss up to me whether I had another seizure at work or just tripped and got knocked out) and on my left side I've still got small bruises on my face, head, shoulder, and knee and bent but did not break my glasses too, so I'm feeling and I think I'm seeing really cockeyed. With the small print in my Bible I usually don't find hard to read in the mornings, I almost feel as though I'm only needing the glasses for distance. Wait, which means that my vision's getting better isn't it? Ah well, last night my son's opening night at Cub Scouts (instead of the kids' school Longfellow Elementary, we're meeting at Christ Lutheran Church across the street this year) went great with the kids learning to make sculptures out of soap and me on my first night as one of Jeffrey's Scout leaders. Matt who's on his third year needed help and I volunteered.


For the first night, at least three other parents stayed which is a big help believe me! So we got done and we're getting ready to get the materials we need at the Scout Store in town this weekend, and Jeffrey and I were among the last people getting ready to go, and I. LOCKED. THE. KEYS. IN. THE. VAN. Actually, the van key broken off my keychain fell out of my hand as I was turning off the ignition and I figured I would find it after Scouts was over, but I sound maybe a little smarter than I am if you go for the first one. *sticking my tongue out* Yeah, I didn't agree either. And with KHRT our local Christian radio station holding the first day of its weeklong fundraising Sharathon and me standing here where I work listening to it between regular programming, I'm realizing between work and home and the journey both ways where I want to be, what priorities I want to keep. Even if they don't believe that and there are days I have to convince myself of that.


It's worth much more than a billion to me, David

Comments

Popular Posts