I don't need to know what's next

Sixty-six days as of today and this year is officially OVER? Wow ... last night my wife Martha, my kids Sarah and Jeffrey, and I went to the last night of Preacher In The Patch And Friends over on the state fairgrounds. The "Patch" being the oil patch that part of our state is known for and we can hear 90 second message from the "Preacher" weekdays; truth be known, it's something we really needed and to a degree didn't even realize we needed. At the end of the service where we heard several gospel singers -- one of them contributed the line that's today's title -- and the service wasn't I felt so much preaching as displaying as much as is possible on stage the cost of not accepting Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord. People would come up to heaven onstage and be counting on some good works of theirs and not bring up a word about Jesus (except the last one, in the manner of such productions) and then there'd be an altar call.


The family and I sat up front and went up with I'm guessing near the entire assembly. The kids got shepherded aside (with our permission) to talk with a man from Child Evangelism, and we also got to see my boss (well, my boss' dad Ray, the man who hired me at the job I've held the longest time -- well, husband beats it out by a few months) and congratulated. It's not that Martha and I, not that my kids and I, were not Christians already -- but like all of us we lose sight of Him getting bombarded with other things. Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. Now it's up to me, up to us, to live a life we want Sarah and Jeffrey to model. After this weekend getting our systems flushed out ... even after church Sunday and for me Saturday's University of Scouting where I still feel like as a new den leader I got thrown into a shark tank for I have just a little more idea what I'm doing to be leading (?) these Cub Scouts alongside Matthew the den leader they've had for three years.


But something's going to break, something has to.


David



Comments

Popular Posts