Puppets Are Friends, And So Are We

This was Shellie's line from Sunday School, and I liked it. Shellie's the Shepherd -- in darker moods I'd say they are all glorified line leaders who essentially drop the kids off in the classrooms and then are claimed as the "teachers", not the ones in the classroom who have to present the material -- for a first and second grade blended class whom I was SO grateful to have help the kids with the play for our lesson on Jonah. And from the title, you can probably tell that the kids will happily do with the puppets what's not supposed to be done with the puppets if given the opportunity. Forgive me for assuming some intelligence, but I have to admit reading to script and knowing the difference between the stage directions (what the characters do, usually in parentheses like this) and what the characters say (which most often comes after the characters' names) can be daunting, no matter how simple I try to make it. So we ended with the kids acting with the puppets and Shellie, Dalyce, and I speaking.


I want to sound nicer with that, but the way I feel right now it's hard -- please forgive me. I had an eye exam this morning and learned that I'm approaching the age where I'll receive bifocals. They're on order now and should be here within two weeks. The optometrist, the people at the front desk, and the measurers at Vision Galleria were all nice enough; honestly, nicer enough about what I needed done that I was, than I have been lately about a lot of things. The more I'm the one who has to get Sarah and Jeffrey to school in the mornings because my wife Martha's having to be at Trinity by seven in the morning weekdays, the more I'm wanting to pull my hair out because it seems our daughter and son aren't getting enough sleep, can't get enough sleep! It does no good for me to be not cross and disagreeable when I'm outside our house if when I'm home all I want to do is go to bed! It's as though kids can admit stress but adults cannot sometimes.


And as for friends ... I really do want to have some. But I can also do a much Much MUCH better job of being one -- I guess if it were easy, everybody would do it. So we're reading here what may be the quirkiest post I've made in a while five days out of the start of November, but my eyes are also still dilated and my pupils are LETTING EVERY SHRED OF LIGHT IN! Thank God that it's overcast outside so I was able to drive here and that with Jeffrey's help last night I was able to discern which scouts are in my "den". That's what confuses me, though, how much I'm responsible for as a result of saying I would help with the Bear Scouts this year. I didn't think I would be left on my own doing so much of it, but hopefully when we meet tonight -- last Tuesday of the month's our den meeting, and this month it doubles as our troop's Halloween party -- I will find out what's going on. I can do anything for one year. (And so far Jeffrey's don't Scouting for three!)


David

Comments

Popular Posts