I Can See, I CAN SEE!

No, I haven't been blind, though without my glasses I might as well be. But the last few days since I had that fall in my office I've been having to close one eye to see small print and focus ... has just not been my strong suit. This morning I buckled (and got advised by my wife Martha) to go to Vision Galleria over by Dakota Square and get my glasses adjusted -- the right lens has been raised about an inch over the left one, and I was thinking I looked like Beanpole from John Christopher's Tripods trilogy -- and then advised to take advantage of our family's vision insurance to get a new pair of glasses. The one I'm wearing is two years old, so I'll have to confer with Martha my wife on that.


To Be A Princess by Hugh Brewster and Laurie Coulter with paintings by Laurie McGaw
ISBN 189589252X


Last night I met my wife Martha and our kids Sarah and Jeffrey outside McDonald's where the kids had eaten dinner. Martha my wife was with her spoiled aunt Shirley visiting and they and her parents ate at Taco Bell, and I asked was I allowed to eat myself before I would be getting home late with the kids. Yes, with some reluctance ... I'm putting on a few pounds. So I grabbed a meal at Wendy's and then we got home. My wife Martha was at choir practice where she also passed around Jeffrey's Trail's End popcorn brochure to raise money for Scouting -- there's always some popcorn lovers there; at coffee this morning, I find grandparents there also have kids in Scouting ... but that's ok.


Horse Trails Have No Ends by SASSpedis
ISBN 9781456768249


By the time I get to this part of today's entry (typed at 1318 CST) I've just returned from a baked potato bar held by my local credit union to raise money for MORE breast cancer research. Tough Enough To Wear Pink, indeed! I would think every branch of cancer has been cured by now, or at least the money's been raised to do it a dozen times! But I digress. The chill is finally out of the air, and after I brought a baked potato with her favorite toppings to my wife Martha as well I came back to the office (I do get to go OUT for lunch from time to time) and now I'm just settling in to finish this piece.


Greetings from Los Angeles [collected] by Kerry Tucker


ISBN 0942820002


So all the books I cite here that I've read over the last two weeks (not all the books I've read, but some have been repeats) have been the truth that's stranger than fiction. From real life princesses, and for me finally making sense of the whole Mary/Elizabeth schism, to a memoir by a Yakima Indian who grew up and grew through many abusive relationships, to a collection of postcards with backgrounds of Los Angeles, California scenes from the late 19th century to the early 1980s (the book's copyright 1982), we on the second day of Sharathon are finding that with each book we read and each word we process, we DO see a little bit more. Now to respond to it.


David






Comments

Popular Posts