I AM NUMBER FOUR

[National Novel Writing Month is coming, and I need to get prepared! And on this first half of favorite posts of mine I've gathered from the first half of October, I don't just refer to the Pittacus Lore novel ... -- David]


1. I posted this on someone's thread and people seemed to like it, so I will post it here again.
Idea generator:
Look around and name the first thing that moves. (ex. cat)
Name one thing your mother is known to do or have done. (ex. teach)...
Think of the last news article you can recall. (ex. bank robbery)
String them together and make a story. (ex. A talking cat teaches its owner how to rob a bank.)






2. The fact that there's a highway to hell and only a stairway to heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers.






3. I don't know if anyone else would find this funny, but I got a line in my novel that makes me chuckle all the time, want to share it. (Quick blurb, Noah is one of the good guys fighting against supernatural using a coffee shop as a front for his team, his employer and teammate Sakura has a overprotective grandfather, who's secretly the bad guy, trying to get Sakura fired and become a housewife:)
“Are you mocking me?” Machiko sneered unable to believe he had decided to down that route.
“Yes, quite yes I am old boy,” Noah replied,
Maybe it's just me but makes me chuckle, also picture that in Jon Pertwee/Third Doctor's accent and be a little more funny as well.






4. Once upon a time, like 10 years ago, I was heavily involved in a Lord of the Rings forum community that shall remain nameless. There I roleplayed, submitted fanfiction, and gabbed with friends. One of said friends, whom I thought I was close to, created a post that was all about all of her forum friends, where she listed them all and put something nice about them. I was not included in this list. There were about 30 people who were. I got in the shower and just sat in the bot...tom and cried.
I've never told anyone about this, and this diatribe doesn't have an ending like "I'm so glad I found this place," or "you all are not like that." I don't know if you are or not. Because here is the thing - you don't always know the people you meet on the internet. You think the people here are all genuine all the time? Surely some are, but this is a group for people who WRITE FICTION for goodness' sakes. And some people are almost certainly doing social experiments. So guard your affections and don't forget to invest in the people in your physical life who love you, even when it seems like no one does.
That being said, I do enjoy being here, in this little community, no matter how fanciful and contrived it may or may not be, no matter how many masks we do or do not wear.








5. Bambi & mcdonalds in the same post makes me want a venison burger ....... [smile]








6. On an alternate Earth, heroes read comic books about us.





7. I have a fear of writing that has two sides. I'm afraid of success because it means I have to have another good idea and write it better than the last (and I'm afraid I don't have it in me), and I'm afraid of failure because that would mean I'm a talentless hack who should get a "real job" (and live a less than fulfilling life along with the embarrassment of showing the world how much I suck)... So I guess it boils down to intense pressure and humiliation. Anyone else? Or is it just me?
This doesn't stop me from actually writing - it just stops me from publishing at the moment.







8. Everything has already been written. All that's left is to write it in new ways.




9. Subway: Naked Woman Destroys Sandwich Restaurant While High on Spice, Police Say


one version of what happened Tuesday night (101315) in Anchorage, Alaska




10. I'm experiencing something... strange.
I am a dedicated pantser. Have been for 5 years. Never before have I ever approached NaNoWriMo with a plan developed more than 24 hours out from November 1st.
But alas. Here I am on October 14th, with 9 giant pieces of paper FULL of plans. Plans that I care about. Plans I want to grow and solidify. Plans that I want to make happen... in November.
...
What is happening to me?






11. Listening to the Secret Wars Audio Book by Graphic Audio. Ok... why does the character of Zsaji exist? She's only here for a love triangle between Colossus and Johnny Storm. And the way Colossus falls in love with her is so trite. She heals him. He barely knows her. They don't even speak the same language. We don't even know her as a character. And it's even worse in the comics.






12. For there to be a love triangle, Johnny would have to care first. Colossus falling for Zsaji is chaulked up to an after effect of her healing power. Plus, being an emotionally young character to boot. Its not the best arc, but a dude falling for his nurse isnt out of left field either.
(in response to the comment above)




13. I just had to share this with you!
Praise God! God still answers prayers as long as it's according to His will. He is the same God of yesterday and always will be! Tears of Joy just rolls down my face. My mom spoke to me over the phone in her normal voice and we both praised God together! And she can walk! I want to see a Hallelujah from everyone! She will be discharged to Rehab hopefully by tomorrow! Thank you for all the prayers!
Thank you God for your mercy and grace!






14. From the web: "Only Walt Simonson seems to get away with that "characters saying exactly what they're thinking" style of writing."
I'm not entirely sure what that means although the reference in context seems to be generally directed at 'old school' writers. Old school's not a quote from the source; just my interpretation of the remark. But at least I'm glad I'm the guy getting away with it, whatever it is.


Walt Simonson on the Facebook page ""Walt Simonson Appreciation Society", 101515, 1559 hrs

















Comments

Popular Posts