The Breaking Kingdom

YES, I know Sunday's episode of Once Upon A Time that all of us actually watched last night (the kids and I after I got them home, my wife Martha after she got home) is titled "The Broken Kingdom", but for my post today the present tense is much more fitting. The "broken kingdom" in question in this fifth-season story arc of the series is Camelot, home to King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and OUAT's version has ... or had, the episode's told in a great many flashbacks and the more I think about it the more confusing it is, King Arthur obsessed with restoring the sword Excalibur. He's already drawn it by the time the story begins -- but the sword is missing its tip, which is the Dagger of the Dark One that bore Rumpelstiltskin's and now bears Emma Swan's name. Whoever's got the dagger has control of the Dark One and is capable of doing quite a lot by and unto themselves and unto others as has been done unto them. Just ask Hook.


And now with Weekend Update (is that still the line they use to introduce it midday through on Saturday Night Live? I haven't watched it in decades.) here's David Alvin! (I think it's "Weekend Update with [the anchor's name], now that I think of it.) The kids were with me at Breakfast with the Boys, among the 21 people there with English muffin, hardboiled egg, fruit, juice, and coffee and THEY even "let" me stay for Bible study (there were 15 of us there, while they played in our activity room and helped me afterward set up Parable Playhouse for the next day) while my wife Martha was at work; she came home early though because her back was aching and yesterday she went to a local chiropractor to get "bent" back into shape! And Sunday morning after church and the first class of Parable Playhouse on the story of Jonah we got the kids some much needed winter clothes. It's not winter yet of course but the white stuff and the frosty things have been known to come early ...


And you thought population control was crazy in your country ... by mid-century in India, Holly Bodger's debut novel 5 to 1 (ISBN 9780385391535) set in Koyanagar -- a real-life city, but a fictional state in western India -- allows girls when they come of marriageable age to choose among five marriage-age boys by Testing them. At first it reads a bit like The Handmaid's Tale for kids, but the story's told from two perspectives, one of the prospective brides in poetic meter, and one of the Candidates for her hand in prose. And both of them are coming to realize what a society that values men only as breeders while women are feted as paragons of virtue (human doings vs. human beings, in a quaint role reversal of most dystop -- short for dystopian, but I'm coining the noun form -- fiction) is causing everyone to lose. And YOU thought I'd be harping praise on the final Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer which debuted last night and I first saw this morning. Later this week.


I think, it depends on my mood. Back to Saturday, soon after my wife Martha came home early to rest I took Jeffrey to a birthday party (funny, I don't remember getting invited to a lot of birthday parties when I was growing up, but I digress) for Adam, one of his classmates and fellow Cub Scouts. I picked him up a few hours later from this Minecraft-themed party and while I caught up on sleep in snatches over the weekend, I'm learning to sleep uninterrupted through the night because it's ultimately better for you. And Chuck Norris I'm SURE has said so; I'll have to read one of the other books of exaggerated superlatives about him to find out. Yesterday I picked up and finished Ian Spector's The Last Stand of Chuck Norris (ISBN 9781592406456) and while I don't expect when you finish this sentence to have freed two hundred POWs from a Vietnamese prison camp, roundhouse kicked Saturn, and exposed ... no, REALLY not that! But I will do what I can do.


Anything that's broken can heal, David

Comments

Popular Posts