JAMES never locked himself out of the house!

If he did, I'm sure His Brother -- more accurately, James' Biological Half-Brother and Spiritual Brother (think about the Dennis the Menace panel where Dennis asks the pastor "If God is My Father, does that make Jesus my Brother?") -- would have enabled him to get inside ... if it were the will of His Father in heaven. Not impossible, for keyed locks go back to the ancient Egyptians.
I'm tipping the scale of irreverence here (or am I?) because I read this morning that today in the Lutheran church -- for now I attend one -- the feast day for James the (half-)brother of Jesus, aka James the Just aka James of Jerusalem the apostle is commemorated. Traditionally (which usually means according to the earliest verifiable source) James ... was martyred in the year 62 of our era.


And he's not to be confused with James the brother of John whom Herod Agrippa had killed according to the twelfth chapter of Acts, the only martyrdom of the original TWELVE APOSTLES we find recorded in the Bible. But I must have acted really confused from when I got home last night -- seriously, I felt so loopy because I hadn't eaten and since that fall a few weeks ago I've just been finding it hard to see straight on, even wearing my glasses. Got an eye exam Tuesday morning at Vision Galleria, and I can't say that I've only let my wife Martha's beauty and grace blind me. Age hits. And when the kids and I were on our way to Grandma and Grandpa's this morning after their reading, the one thing Jeffrey usually DOESN'T do, he did. And I felt so silly.


Fortunately, my wife Martha was only at work across town so I could call her to let me into the house to get the keys for the van. But the last few weeks even with our getting closer together and our planned date night tonight -- this we're sorely lacking in, please pray for us -- I still feel like I'm not sucking it up and being the adult, the man, the husband, the father, the child of God I should be. Tonight Sarah and Jeffrey are staying with my in-laws and I'll meet my wife Martha at home. Then tomorrow morning she has to go to job #2 at Burger King on South Broadway while I'll be at Bethany for Breakfast with the Boys (which I promised I wouldn't bring the kids to tomorrow anyway) and then at a Cub Scout leadership training there from nine to three.


Miracles come in, David

Comments

Popular Posts