Some Anniversaries I've Had Pointed Out To Me

October 11, 539 BC. Traditionally, this is the final day of Babylon as a world power. The historical one (for why I say that, please keep reading), the one Daniel in the Old Testament book bearing his name is documented spending a goodly part of his life serving, along with his friends Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (although we hear nothing of them after the third chapter). The fifth chapter is set on this day -- the day of the "writing on the wall" -- and we also see it described in detail by Herodotus, in essence how the Medes and Persians got into the city without firing a shot.  Not the writing, necessarily, but the march upon the city itself and how it was subdued in a day. For me this year, it 'twas  so windy in fact that when I got home later that afternoon I couldn't help falling asleep! Oy vey. In case we can't get to you ourselves and YOU'D like to help my son support Scouting and get some awesome popcorn yourselves by the way, you can also order here:

http://www.trails-end.com/?scout=bb9fe1e662f7457




October 12, 1492. Columbus Discovered America. At least this is how I first heard it as a kid, though apparently only rank Philistines dare say it now, for it depends on your definition of "discovered". While it is a stretch to paint Christopher Columbus with this, nevertheless going the other extreme -- treating Columbus and the European explorers who preceded and followed him like monsters who should have been butchered in the cradle -- makes us just as bad, does it not? Another interesting tidbit to me was an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, the sixth season "Relics" premiered October 12, 1992. It was one of those episode where a character from the original Star Trek series, chief engineer Scotty, appeared and interacted with Picard's crew four Enterprises and seventy in-series years later. (Who do you think gave Guinan the Aldebaran whiskey?) The Columbian Quincentennial. And this past one? My wife Martha and I celebrated our 123rd month of married life.


October 13, 2015. Saw this post yesterday and I counted the days on my calendar at the office -- sixty-six days until the debut of the latest Star Wars movie, The Force Awakens. Pretty remarkable how we who've been paying attention to the further adventures of Luke, Han, Leia, et. al. and those who the torch is being passed to (Finn, Poe Dameron, Rey, et. al.) have followed every tidbit yet haven't learned anything really major. Disney that now owns Lucasfilm -- which will make Leia officially a Disney Princess along with Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, et. al. on the December 18th -- does a good job of that. And the sixty-six (think Order 66, the Jedi execution order from Revenge of the Sith that came out last decade) is also two thirds of the Mark of the Beast appearing in the New Testament book of Revelation that will mark those faithful to the antichrist, literally the one who sets himself up against Christ in the new world order, Babylon The Great.


October 14. After work last night I headed over to Christ Lutheran Church where Jeffrey's Cub Scout troop is currently meeting and as one of the den leaders (a co-den leader? still not sure how to word that) worked with other volunteers showing a group of eight boys how to tie half-hitch knots and set up tents. And so far, everybody's been polite enough to not say my being there looks like an elephant on roller skates ... but I'm glad to be doing it with my son, and that he sees me doing it enthused with him and his friends. I have a lot to learn; you may have noticed that my outdoor skills are not stellar. But they're picking up, and I heard that Bible study which started up again -- this year we're doing a dual one covering the New Testament books of Galatians and James -- was the best attended in years! Due to my schedule with Scouts I for now will not be able to get there (I'm feeling guilty about that because I majorly suggested that study, balancing faith and works) but in spirit.


Oh, and last night was the ninth anniversary of Dad's death.


David



Comments

Popular Posts