Yes, I Can Approach An Angel!





WORD COUNT: 21,013


For "Threnody" which I'm writing for this year's National Novel Writing Month that will be the fourth complete story in my Progeny series, I'm endeavoring to write from a woman's point of view. Part of me feels really moody doing it ... really, how Cindy Gallatin who's a hero called Ricochet that projects energy fields lives a life out of public view as much as she can and tries to influence her four-year-married husband, Daniel also known as Gadgetmaster, to keep out of super heroics and live a normal life as well. It turns out, as they seem to be in charge of a sort of hallway house/superhuman underground railroad, that Cindy's got some really reasons she doesn't want to get back into the action ... BUT she'll have to.


You will probably know more about that as soon as I write it down.

Friday night I got home but before I got off work Martha called and told me about Jeffrey staying the night with his friend Nick at his house. He'd been asking for weeks, and with school closed Friday for Veterans Day he and Sarah and Martha met me at Marketplace in the afternoon to grab lunch from the samples at Marketplace's annual Taste for the Holidays. I still had food back at the office if I was peckish. (Love that word from the end of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I hate hearing "risotto" and "overcooked"!) Family also did some grocery shopping and got some awesome deals on pot roasts and pork chops and hamburger, which are usually big ticket items. I got home to dinner with Martha, Sarah, and me and Jeffrey was over at Nick's At Nite ...


I mean, for the night.




Saturday at ten Sarah and I picked Jeffrey up at Nick's house and we headed to Menard's to pick up some cereal and milk as I promised Martha we'd do and we forgot Friday ... I was wearing the ugly Christmas sweater Sarah and Jeffrey got me for my birthday last year and I figured we'd get some good mileage out of it, so after we were done on the south end of town we traveled to Main Street Books which is now holding an ugly sweater contest and I had my photo taken in it. Also on my sojourn through the store's used book section I picked up one that just got back there while the kids were catching up on How To Speak Emoji and a few other good Christmas ideas. I also got a graphic novel of The Book of Revelation.


Yes, that looked and sounded weird to me too.

But for two dollars used, I wasn't risking much. Newly translated from Greek by Friars Mark Arey and Philemon Sevastiades, adapted by Matt Dorff, and illustrated by Chris Koelle, The Book of Revelation (ISBN 9780310421405) is meant to present word for word and image what John who wrote the book saw as well as catch his reaction, which up until the 20th century no art tried to do. The Whore of Babylon's depicted as a seductive woman, men with the heads of lions and lambs are depicted so, angels give you every reason for them to say "fear not" when they appear, and I will admit there are parts where if I didn't know ... I don't know about BETTER, but if I didn't believe that will happen, I would be turned off the whole Christian enterprise.

I mean, you think Halloween is scary?


I'm not saying don't read it, just know a little bit ... ok, a great bit of what's in the original. There are moments I do wonder if we have. Sunday morning at church I remember especially busy, we honored one of our secretaries who's retiring after fifteen years on the job at Bethany (I don't know where Sheila was before that) and had turkey dinner furnished by LYO with all the trimmings at one of those dinners where you eat way more -- or should -- than you know is good for you. We're building up for Thanksgiving a week from Thursday and there's not only plenty to be thankful for but also a great opportunity between tossing the ol' pigskin around (we do that) to do what others can be

Thankful for, too.


David










Comments

Popular Posts