R, I Will Respect Myself



WORD COUNT: 12,526

I wasn't aware you had lucky pants.
Me neither. [Pause.] But I'm always lucky wearing these.


Our daughter Sarah and I had that conversation this morning before school, and the "lucky pants" she refers to are leggings with various emoji and hashtags on them. It's so warm outside right now for November, it's supposed to climb to 70 today, that Jeffrey was glad of the excuse to wear shorts instead of the pants I'd made sure to wash for him last night. We got home after I picked them up from work and after the kids were in bed Martha and I caught up on the latest episode of Once Upon A Time ... just when I think that show is getting so overblown it's begging for cancellation, it redeems itself with a story focused on the main characters. In some cases bringing up details I'd totally forgotten about.


Why oh why oh why did Regina try to kill her evil self (aka the Evil Queen) in the first place? She must have known she wouldn't be able to do it without killing herself, and without some restraint on her she's wreak the most havoc she possibly could! And has, if you check out the current episode "Heartless" ... the Sleeping Curse is back but with a twist. Something to do with those hearts you can rip out of people's chests. And I'd really have to stretch my imagination to consider it a commentary on yesterday's Presidential election, where Donald Trump seemed to surprise a lot of people (including himself?) by winning over Hillary Clinton. Martha and I kept up until midnight with the news, and once Florida's electors were pledged to Trump we could have called it.


Jeffrey wasn't thrilled with the news when we told him Trump won -- at least, he expressed it in a grunt while Sarah didn't say a thing that I remember. But no matter who won yesterday it's going to be an onerous task to "bring the country back together". Some people of our acquaintance (and I suspect yours as well) are rabid Trump or Clinton supporters, either beating their chests or burning their bras right now. As I look at the latest figures at 1345 hours CST today, Trump's over 270 electoral votes (what you need to be President) but Clinton has a very slight -- .16% popular vote edge, with three states still waiting to report in. It won't change that Trump won, for Clinton has already called and conceded.

And I close today with a post about me that's made my day, and what I posted following that:

"Honestly, if you were running, David, I would have voted for you first! You're smart, have a huge heart, and family values."
A person I've known since fourth grade said this about me, and I'm really touched. Thank you, I pray I live up to such a high view of me.
(And I could still run, you know ... only Constitutional requirements for President are being a natural-born citizen and at least 35, a Senator at least 30, and a Representative at least 25.)
David



Comments

Popular Posts