We Won't Know Tomorrow Until Tomorrow!



WORD COUNT: 47,000

It all started with the letter X ... oh wait a minute, no it doesn't.

Well, in Jef Czekaj's illustrated book A Call For A New Alphabet (ISBN 9781580892285), X -- the character representing the letter, at least -- in Alphabet City says he's sick and tired of being near the end of the alphabet and taps into other letters' frustration when he calls for a vote on a new alphabet, which they'll take the following morning. The night before the vote, X has a dream where he hears from the other letters and what they do and what he does in the alphabet and realizes he doesn't have it that bad at all. So X arrives just as the vote is being taken in the court of Judge J (and it's twelve to twelve, with A abstaining) and casts his vote for keeping the alphabet as it is. And we are all relieved, in this fun story with a drawing style that reminds me of Gravity Falls.


Yesterday was the day nothing could go right. I mean, I know I live in North Dakota, snow in winter is par for the course ... but driving in this sludge was especially a pain in the rear. Got stuck trying to get out of several parking lots (and even out of our driveway) yesterday and when Martha came to my office to trade vehicles yesterday, one of my customers and I had to help push her out. Our daughter Sarah was sick yesterday so I had to take her to her grandparents' place before going in to work myself, and quite honestly I thought she had worked herself into a fit because she was concerned about some homework she hadn't finished ... to be honest with you, the whole weekend was pretty much stay out of my way because it felt like everything was breaking down. The van even ran down on Martha's way to Burger King last night so it needed a jump as well as some gas.

But Sarah played in the band Saturday, the best clarinet of the bunch!


Don't judge, it's most unbecoming. So when I got home last night Martha, Sarah, and Jeffrey were there and we settled in to enjoy the pot roast I'd had cooking in a crock pot all day and catching up on Top Chef -- we're on season 10 in New Orleans now -- and the latest episode of Once Upon A Time with some interesting back-to-basics twists. The Land of Untold Stories arc seems to have pretty much died out with the exception of Aladdin and Jasmine's unfinished business with Agrabah, and then there (always seems to be) Rumpelstiltskin trying to make a deal or get what he wants without having to change who he is. The backstory to the latest episode "Changelings" tells us something very interesting about him ... but I won't spoil it for you; besides, at this writing I've got a day and a half to get Nanowrimo done with at least 50,000 words!


This morning Martha and I took turns shoveling our driveway where the snow came up to our knees -- we're under a winter weather advisory until midnight tomorrow and I'm hearing right now about a few travel advisories. In other words, if you don't have to be on the road, don't be! The kids were asking us last night whether schools would be cancelled tomorrow because the snow was still falling at the time and I said something along the line of we won't know about that until tomorrow, then Martha opined that we usually hear about any closings or delayed openings by nine or so. Then Sarah came in with today's title, which actually doesn't sound like she hates my guts. (This past weekend we had to do some major retooling for our household's sake, and it's still ongoing.)


We will know,


David 

Comments

Popular Posts