A, Won't Have An Attitude



WORD COUNT: 10,851

And today will be my numbers game for the month!

4. I forgot to mention that I'm using the D.A.R.E. acronym (Drug Abuse Resistance Education) for my titles this week, and my kids have been learning a really cool song and dance after school to go with it! And when I usually pick them up they're singing it! As for the "attitude" I don't mind it as long as it's not snotty too. I've referred to treating the kids sometimes like they're twelve or significantly older than they are (Sarah's ten and Jeffrey's nine) because they act it and I forget myself, and sometimes they act like they're three. Do you NOT know how to wash dishes, or even take them to the sink?


27. This is the number of votes I'm told Hillary Clinton got from the students at Longfellow Elementary last week where the kids go to school. I understand Donald Trump pretty much sewed up the rest. Two of those said votes came from our two future voters, and when Martha and I asked why out of curiosity, Sarah offered something like we knew she wouldn't win so we went there. Got me thinking of Winston Churchill who said anyone under 35 who votes conservative has no heart and anyone over 35 who votes liberal has no brains. It's almost a pity you have to, like Nobel Prize winners, actually have to be alive and kicking to win. Or even be nominated and run, I would expect.


270. THAT is the magic number of votes any of today's Presidential candidates need to win, one more than half of the current 538 total electors in the United States Electoral College. It's been at that number since 1960, the year after Alaska and Hawaii became the 49th and 50th states of the United States. Some people don't view the establishment of the College in the Constitution (Article II, Section 1, Clauses 2-4) as the Founding Demigods' ... I mean, the Founding Fathers' finest hour particularly since our population and technology have grown significantly since 1787, so it's possible for a candidate to receive more of your and my votes today yet still lose because of the College.


1992. This was the first year I was able to vote for President as well as on a plethora of other issues (on the ballot I received today in Minot, North Dakota, in addition to voting for President there were about a dozen other elected offices and five ballot measures), and I voted for Hillary's husband Bill. I was twenty and I don't want to say I didn't know any better, but he had a better appeal to me than Bush 41 did. I too got swayed by the "read my lips - no new taxes" pledge and got ticked off when Bush broke it. Looking back with a bit of historical perspective (I was at university at the time, where you get deluged with that) I can't say I wouldn't choose Clinton again. Though I didn't today.


10,851. See above. Just over one-fifth of my word count for this draft of "Threnody", which will be my fourth published story set in what I call the Proverse or The Progeny Cycle. The former for an evil version of my main super heroes collected from several different realities (pro vs. con, Proverse vs. Converse) and the latter name comes from the first book Progeny I'd written in the series and published through AuthorHouse twelve years ago. (Dang, it's been that long?) I use that, my 2008 National Novel Writing Month novel Litany, and some other manuscript notes to make a continuous timeline of events. And one plot thread in "Threnody" I plan as that world's 2016 election.


Different candidates, though.

David

Comments

Popular Posts