YOU'RE A GOON!



Fourteen years ago ...


John 20:1-18                                                               April 20
interns in Los Angeles; Raymond and Kim                 10304.20


Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord, and that he had spoken these words unto her. 18


I really miss going to a sunrise service this Easter. Day two hundred forty-six in Halliday [North Dakota, where Martha and I lived before Minot], I realize people around here are earlier risers than I am! Day eighty-three to the wedding, and I want to know more about what's going to become of Martha and me. Day nineteen to the end of Martha's school year [she taught a K-12 music program at Halliday Public School that year], I pray like one editorial said of a conversion in Damascus not seen since Paul's. Lord, thank you for a beautiful day and a great opportunity that I mustn't squander. Amen.


Waller, Robert James. The Bridges of Madison County. New York: Warner Books, Inc., 1992.


For a week in 1965, Geographic photographer Robert Kincaid and Iowa housewife Francesca Johnson share a passion like they've never known before. It's a simple story, but it touches everything they do afterward. The writing is crisp and precise, the action is clear and natural, and the work is something you cheer for in spite of yourself. Love is the reason you do your duty, and what might have been was there but doesn't matter.


[There are also prayer and praise requests on these two pages of my journal for our POWs home, Dan and Cindy travel to Texas, and a magazine photo of Kim Cattrall.]

Love is the reason you do your duty, and what might have been was there but doesn't matter.


Dang, I need to quote myself more.


And that comes from a Star Wars journal made to promote Attack of the Clones, No. 011859. I got it free as a member of the Science Fiction Book Club at the time. I'll write in or on just about anything -- I'm still in the blank journal that my sister-in-law (did you keep that list from Monday of my extended family? If not, shame on ya.) Lesa and her kids gave me for Christmas that has "Follow Your Dreams" engraved on the front cover. I began writing in THAT on New Year's Day!


Today's title comes from a book I read last week in one sitting. I checked Little Bunny Foo Foo "Told and Sung by The Good Fairy" and illustrated by Paul Brett Johnson (ISBN 0439373018) out of Ward County Public Library two weeks ago, and judging from the copyright being in Johnson's name I'm guessing HE'S the one who wrote and put this together. I remember my older sister Jeanni when she still lived with me, my mom and my dad, would sing this to me on long trips.


Ok, technically half-sister since Jeanni and I have the same mom but different dads. But hey, we're brother and sister ... anyway, Jeanni would sing the song to me about the bratty bunny who'd pick up field mice and bop them on the head and then the Good Fairy would come down and say that if Little Bunny Foo Foo didn't stop that after three chances, she'd turn him into a goon. Whatever that was. And you really have to sing this and do the hand actions.


I really miss that now that I think of it. She'd tickle me when the Good Fairy turned Little Bunny Foo Foo into a goon, and I laughed myself silly! I need to work on my tickle technique though -- Sarah and Jeffrey complain I do it too hard. But anyway, last night I got home and Martha who was there before she left for choir practice had just finished some cheeseburger macaroni that really sat well with everybody. And we've still got a lot left over!


And after getting off the phone as I write this I forgot what I was going to say next. Meh.


It's my goon nature taking over, David








  

Comments

Popular Posts