Ensign: Carpe Diem (But Wait, There's More!)


All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3

AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                       28 April 2017



Even if we don't speak a lot of Latin, most of us know the meaning of the phrase carpe diem -- seize the day. The trouble is, most people of our acquaintance (including us, if we're honest sometimes) cite that as an injunction to live "in the moment" and not be overly or at all concerned about the future. But take a look at the original source of that phrase in the first-century BC poet Horace's Odes.


Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.


Seize the day, put no trust in tomorrow.


From the standpoint of our own Christian faith, it becomes easy when pursuing such a philosophy that there is no rush to witness for our God. In fact, out of context you could make the argument from Scripture that NOT witnessing in our words and actions will postpone the Rapture and Jesus' Second Coming indefinitely. That one criterion is the entrie world will hear the Gospel before Jesus returns doesn't preclude our responsibility as His followers to preach the word in season and out of season.


I love that you don't have to be a preacher to do this.


But if you want some, I urge you to turn to Matthew 28:19-20 and 2 Timothy 4.


You and I don't know if tomorrow comes for either of us. Personally I would not want to know; beyond being assured I won't die or be caught up (what "rapture" means, itself a Latin translation of the verb in 1 Thessalonians 4:17) before what God has called me to do is either finished or in process, how long I live is not a big deal to me. It's what I do with the time I have that counts for me. And for you, I expect. When we know the value of time, we won't put trust in tomorrow.


We will seize THIS day,

David

P.S. I write this weekly devotional to keep in touch with you, and I hope I'm encouraging action too! If you find that I'm not or you want me to get lost, just let me know -- thank you!



Thank You, Lord, that we can come to You in prayer and that You provide for all our needs, even when we don't know what they are. We pray for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence there and all over the world.


Thank You, Lord, for everyone in leadership and service both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life You, and I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts