Not In It, My Dear! Beyond It!



Five years ago ...


APRIL 13, 2012                               Triskai


Sooner or later we all knock over the Jenga tower.


Joe Davis, 1558 hours


Got to take Sarah-boo to school today, and she wasn't happy Martha couldn't because she had to go in early. Between her yelling and wanting to smack Jeffrey for not wearing his seat belt when I had to stop suddenly to avoid a truck, it's a relief to get to work.


Not to plan what the kids and I are doing tonight since Martha will be at a women's conference with Liz Curtis Higgs tonight . . . oh, I'm repeating myself. But it's worth it, and this morning I got part of my dream wall done -- I need some encouragement and some success to keep me going!


Don't. We. All.


I got home last night and Martha had finished making pork chops -- BIG pork chops that filled the plate that she'd bought with the kids grocery shopping at Cashwise while I was at work last week. She'd buttered the pan and it (the chop, not the pan) practically melted in your mouth, but there was so much chop that the kids didn't finish eating theirs and Martha didn't even finish hers after coming home from choir practice last night! I was up at two thirty this morning and while getting my Bible study done (something to do while I'm focused and can't sleep) and some warm milk in me, I chopped up hers to take to work with her today. And today Jeffrey's got -- well, as I write this, had -- his fourth grade singing program which Martha recorded for me to watch later as I couldn't be there.


Yesterday while at work I finished Alan Dean Foster's adaptation of The Black Hole (ISBN 0345285387), the 1979 science fiction movie produced by the Walt Disney Productions. It was done before we knew a great deal about black holes, the theoretical space time shortcuts that pull anything approaching them into an intolerable gravity well. I have some find childhood memories of this movie; I even had the ColorForms set of it and the trading cards and the first three (of four, apparently) Gold Key comics based on this movie that Disney produced. Reinhardt's hench-robot Maximillian pictured above NEVER gets out of your head -- at least it didn't mine, I kept a model kit of him in my room for several years!

Yesterday morning I finishing a devotional I picked up last month -- on occasion, I do read more than one at a time, usually a page or two out of each. And J. L. Fryar's Man of God (ISBN 1933234210) has as its focal passage Isaiah 40:27-31, regarding the LORD renewing the strength of those who come to Him "with wings as eagles". In fact, the author works quite a bit about eagles themselves into the study -- their intense focus, their care for their young, their taking advantage of the wind currents themselves as opposed to pumping their muscles to fly -- and making them apply to how the LORD renews us when we're weary.


Just now, I want to sit back and relax.

Enjoy your holiday,


David


Comments

Popular Posts