See You At The Battles!



This is how Martha heard me say, "See you at" the name of the doctor we had to visit for Jeffrey this morning. [Jeffrey doesn't want to be made fun of for this, so I promised not to mention it -- Martha and Sarah had better not! You know elementary school kids.]  And for all I know I did say it this way! Martha had to go in early to make up some time at Trinity because she had to take some time off yesterday to pick up out Town & Country van from Wal-Mart's Auto Care which I now have the dubious privilege of driving with four new tires and Robert and Sahron now have their HHR back.


For more details on this, please read yesterday's post.


I got home with the kids last night and we had pizzas to make. And we were evidently really hungry -- Martha chose not to get herself one when we were shopping at Cash Wise Sunday, so please don't think we're starving her -- because they were gone soon after I made them in the oven! And we settled in for the night, then Martha got home from Burger King ... truth be known, I'm bummed that SHE'S the one who works two jobs (which I've done before) when I feel I ought to be the provider who's away so much and the kids see less if at all. I think our family would be better for that.


Oh, about the photo.


My niece Breanna, Pastor Janet's daughter Krista, Rebekah, and I today, seven years ago. (I'm the one with a bit more of a gut that I have now.) Truthfully, I miss teaching Parable Playhouse and when I got asked not to do it anymore last year ... I will admit part of me welcomed it because I had intended to quit once Sarah and Jeffrey were beyond Sunday School age which for Sarah at Bethany Lutheran's going to be in about a month and and Jeffrey another year and a month. But you know, I go to those adult forums now between our services when Sunday school's going on and ...


Adulthood is SO overrated.


Perhaps that's why war is such a popular and almost liberating venue for solving problems. At least, it seems many people seem to find it so. If you won't agree with us, let's smash you into the ground and the survivors will! Sadly, no one is immune to this kind of thinking. It often pours out in letters, some of which if you get the chance to read them are profoundly tugging. I almost teared up reading General Schwarzkopf's letter to the wife or a serviceman killed in the first Gulf War, but all the letters in the Armed Services Edition of War Letters edited by Andrew Carroll


-- ranging from the Civil War to the War on Terror --


reprinted for the Veterans of Foreign Wars have immediacy, have presence, and have reality. I need that, and I'm sure I've read this full book before I just can't place where. I've gotten past the age of regret, or the need to really, for most things ... but I'm still a little miffed that I never enlisted in the United States military. My dad, my grandad, two of my brothers -- there's a certain camraderie that comes from being party of the "band of brothers" then and now that people who've never been in the military don't share.


Meh, I'll just get back to writing letters.


David   

Comments

Popular Posts