This Day Was Also A Thursday,

five years ago.


Deuteronomy 18:15-20                    January 26
those facing a tough decision          11201.26


And it shall come to pass, that whosoever will not hearken unto my words which he shall speak in my name, I will require it of him. 19


Acts 11 - And the apostles and brethren that were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God.
Now they which were scattered abroad upon the persecution that arose about Stephen travelled as far as Phenice, and Cyprus, and Antioch, preaching the word to none but the Jews only.
And in those days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.


Let the other person save face.


If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry.


Emily Dickinson to Colonel Thomas Wentworth Higginson, August 1870


Malcolm, Kari Torgenson. We Signed Away Our Lives. Pasadena: William Carey Library, 2004.


ISBN 08708780


[Prayers and praises in my margins included "MJ, I love you! DOT DOT DOT; Martha's off from bowling TONIGHT, not next Thursday (hallelujah) the kids will like that!; writing here starting at 0120 today; Sydney @ AuthorHouse whose first child is due in April; Martha's surprise for me; Devin; Patrick and Lorena @ McD's; that great cashier at Quizno's; know it's windy; 210.2 lbs; DOT DOT DOT; a sticker from a Granny Smith apple; Dustin; Robbie; Ashley; collaborating with Denise; and Jeffrey's improving reading and healing tummy".]


Well, Martha DOES bowl tonight.


And I really should get back to writing some poetry; when I opened up my journal for this Throw Back Thursday, I found one I'd written a few months before, which I may share in a separate post sometime. Overall, it's cool because I get to see how my writing and other aspects of my life have developed; I started looking through my entries from the 90s and find myself being more ... for want of a better word, naked in its actual sense of unprotected and unvarnished (e.g. "the naked truth") as opposed to unclothed. That's nude.


Or rude. You can ask Martha what I'm being today.


I really liked this morning before taking the kids to school. Sarah asked Jeffrey if he would play some rounds of UNO (the card game) with her, and she asked me to play to after I'd gotten out of the shower. We were all eating breakfast and dealing the cards -- and the kids will stretch the rules wherever they can. It's not cheating, but they can be very clever. I laid down a Draw Two card and Jeffrey who was next asked me if he could Skip it! Anyway, Jeffrey ended up winning two rounds we played and I won one.


Sarah ... next time.


Luke Cage, Iron Fist & the Heroes for Hire. As much as people in our world may think that goodness should be done ... because it's good, think about it -- don't we pay police officers and firefighters and doctors and other people who protect and help us? It's logical that heroes get paid somehow, and in Marvel Comics' latest iteration of the super strong Power Man and martial artist Iron Fist teaming up in the aftermath of Onslaught -- a time when the Fantastic Four and the Avengers are gone for a year --  and with other solo heroes kickin' criminal butt and taking names!


ISBN 9781302902292


But not everyone who eventually joins (or remains) with Heroes for Hire off and on has the highest reasons for doing so. From these starting eleven adventures by James Felder, Jaimie Campos, & John Ostrander with Roger Stern, Power Man and Iron Fist along with White Tiger, Hercules, and Black Knight will have their hands full. And find allies and enemies they didn't even know they had. But hey, I'm a sucker for good comic stories. And Winston Churchill -- but I talked myself out of buying a 1957 biography of him this morning when I returned a library book.


One friend's back from Cambodia, and another group are headed to El Salvador.


The latter I have to remember to look up to remind myself of the country's name! (I confuse that and the capital, San Salvador.) All throughout the year, Habitat for Humanity has church groups flying in to the same site to pick up where the last group left off, and this year a group from Bethany is leaving tomorrow morning for a week! Pastor Janet's daughter Krista is the one who came in from Cambodia at three this morning local time. And that's among the many things I learn going to Bethany for coffee on Thursday mornings. I do listen, even to the pontifications on the future of Minot.


Those facing a tough decision.


That may well be me,


David











Comments

Popular Posts