Blogger Post 1000! A Break Away From My Busy Reality

[And after a phone call I just got, I SO need a break! Which doesn't taste quite as sweet as a Kit Kat bar -- think of the commercial "Give me a break, give me a break, break me off a piece of that Kit Kat bar!" -- I admit, but these favorite quotes and posts of mine from the first half of January, none of which are mine,are fun and thoughtful. I need that in my life.

And I need to celebrate, for I just learned this is my 1000th post on Blogger! -- David]


1. "We just can't outrun Jesus in this family, can we?" ~ [Poster's daughter] this morning





2. True love can be rare, but it is meant to be shared, with another finding a soul who will return it back is the thing that seems to sometimes elude us.
As we look far and near to have and to hold it a never want to let go because if we do can we find it again?
So if you find it? Hold on to it and grasp it with all your might!
Least it you lose it because again it is rare!




3. Some people are sooo oblivious to the obvious!!





4. Okay, Dr. Doom’s name still causes the uninitiated to snigger a little.
Let them.
It remains the name of the greatest super villain in comic book history.
A clear inspiration for Darth Vader, the metal-masked, cloaked and hooded schemer cuts an unforgettable brooding dark-green figure, thanks to artist Jack Kirby. And writer Stan Lee invested Doom with a personality more nuanced than that of previous super villains, one dominated by overweening vanity.
Doom will reject even a victory if it would somehow offend his pride. That same vanity can trip up his plans and even make him amusing when he’s not busy being murderous and merciless.
Given to grandiloquent “You dares!,” Doom observes matter-of-factly that his every utterance must be recorded for posterity because he is, obviouslys, the most important thing that ever lived.
Lee also gave Doom the unique status of being a national ruler. Though a despot, Doom is not utterly evil like Captain America’s Nazi archenemy the Red Skull. He’s sly and devious, but also admirably courageous, unblinkingly facing down even Galactus or the Man of Steel in his quest for unlimited power.
Unimpressed by Superman’s threat to peel him out of “that tin suit,” the menacing monarch drily replies, “Bah! I am standing here on Latverian soil! Here, I am the LAW, alien! Are you not sworn to uphold the laws of men?”
The villains in our immensely popular superhero movies are now routinely given understandable and even sad motivations for what they do, a practice that can be traced directly to Fantastic Four Annual 2 (September 1964), featuring the origin of Dr. Doom.
Lee and Kirby pretty clearly borrowed the story of Doom’s early life from the legend of another alliterative wonder worker, Count Cagliostro — specifically from the 1949 film Black Magic starring Orson Welles (an adaptation of Alexandre Dumas’s novel Joseph Balsamo).
The scenes in which the boy’s Gypsy parents are falsely accused of practicing witchcraft and condemned to death are markedly similar to the comic book story, and both boys grow up to be vengeful, power-hungry masterminds for reasons with which the audience cannot help but sympathize.
In both cases, the audience is swept right up in the emotional power of the melodrama.
Doom’s mother was a sorceress executed when he was small, and his kindly Gypsy healer of a father died protecting him from exposure while fleeing from a vengeful baron who blamed the elder von Doom for failing to save his terminally ill wife.
The murder of his parents galvanizes the boy, just as it did Bruce Wayne — but in the opposite direction. Seeing where his father’s compassion had gotten him, young Victor vows to obtain power over his enemies, and everybody else.
The lab accident that disfigures von Doom puts him on the final leg of his transformational journey, on the same route that Dr. Strange took — to Tibet, long a central clearing house for super powers in the comics.
It’s a tragic irony that this greatest of super villains has not yet been effectively portrayed on screen.
I mean, Hollywood producers DARE?
They DARE?






5. "Creative people are drawn to each other, as notorious for falling in love as they are for driving each other insane,” writes novelist Catherine Lacey in her latest book, The Art of the Affair: An Illustrated History of Love, Sex, and Artistic Influence. “Seen a certain way, the history of art and literature is a history of all this love.” Read more about Lacey's book and the romantic entanglements -- like the one between Elizabeth Hardwick, Robert Lowell, and Caroline Blackwood (depicted below) -- she uncovers in the most recent installment of the Written Image."

(from the Facebook page Poets & Writers, 010417, 1333 hrs)


6. Everywhere I turn, sex is portrayed in the media as exciting-- only when it is fresh and new. A guy meets a girl at a bar, a teen has a fling with a neighbor, a doctor hooks up with a nurse; but what happens weeks and months later? Hot bodies become humans beings with personality flaws and selfish lifestyles. The search for new begins again. Do you want to know what a real turn on is? More th...an highlighted hair and brilliant eye makeup, more than chiseled abs and perfect facial hair? Devotion. The real turn on is loyalty. "I'll be here through the good and the bad. I'll love you when you're strong. I'll hold your hand when you struggle. If the whole world turns on you, I will stay. If we lose everything, I will start over with you." These are the things that turn sex into love and make one person beautiful for a lifetime.
Zach Whitsel




7. Yeah, it's also my addiction. IN addition to coffee. And wine. And chocolate. My name is [Poster], and I have addictive behavior.


8. “I’m a simple woman. All I want is enough sleep for two normal women, enough whiskey for three, and enough men for four.”
"Just kitten"




9. I think they should write [Princess Leia's (Carrie Fisher who played her in the Star Wars movies died last month) -- D.] death into the story, and have it impact whomever she was supposed to have a reunion with in the ninth movie (I'm assuming Kylo Ren). Obviously I don't know exactly how the scene is supposed to go, but I think that a good writer should be able to manipulate some stuff so that it doesn't feel like a cheap throw away, and can actually push the storyline forward.


10. The man who has made up his mind for all contingencies will often be too quick for one who tries to understand. We live in a time when it is important to know your side and there are dangers involved in keeping an open mind. Yet if we all of us devote all our efforts to the struggle, what shall we in the end have struggled for?


(Pieter Geyl, "Ranke in the Light of the Catastrophe")




11. I have been pondering January 6th devotion by Tozer. The title of this devotion is, “The Compelling Calling,” and its foundation is based in 1 Corinthians 9:16. This devotion speaks volumes to the "called."
"The true minister is one not by his own choice but by the sovereign commission of God. From a study of the Scripture one might conclude that the man or woman God calls seldom or never surrenders to the call without considerable reluctance. The young man who rushes too ea...gerly into the pulpit at first glance seems to be unusually spiritual, but he may in fact only be revealing his lack of understanding of the sacred nature of the ministry.
The old rule, “Don’t preach if you can get out of it,” if correctly understood, is still a good one. The call of God comes with an insistence that will not be denied and can scarcely be resisted. Moses fought his calling strenuously and lost to the compulsion of the Spirit within him; and the same may be said of many others in the Bible and since Bible times. Christian biography shows that many who later became Christian leaders at first tried earnestly to avoid the burden of ministry; but I cannot offhand recall one single prophet’s having applied for the job. The true minister simply surrenders to the inward pressure and cries, “Woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!”




12. This world maybe one of the most cruel undeceiving place to live in but in all honestly there is still good out in this world to. Its just having to take the time to find it and find it in other people and finding it in yourself as well. Life is not fair and will never be, but you have to take the good with the bad and overcome what it throws at you.




13. While I've had a wonderful break away from my busy reality, it's time for me to focus and get my head back in the game. I need to do some soul searching!!! I've always taken great pride in being a strong independent woman, this year has humbled me more than EVER!! I'VE TAKEN LOSSES that took me years to gain, but I've also gained some priceless assets. Nobody said life is fair, and definitely nothing comes freely or easyily. The road to success is a constant struggle, and failure just isn't an option for me. I needed this rest so I could get a second wind .... I have a feeling there will be many challenges ahead!!!! Life is what you make it indeed .... I want to make mine GREAT!!!!

14. You might be a biology professor if you're reviewing a textbook & just wrote "Nice figures of the brachial & lumbar plexi" without batting an eyelash.



15. Secure in his great strength, he forgot that a full-grown panther is the most terrible for known to his race.


(L. Frank Baum, "The Enchanted Buffalo")


16. I expect a man of your caliber to be honest about literature, even if you can't be honest about anything else.


(Sandra McDonald, "Diana Comet and the Lovesick Cowboy")




17. Can the use of that term the people in the interests of a minority dictatorship more patently betray itself for the juggling trick it is?


(Pieter Geyl, "Michelet and the French Revolution")















Comments

Popular Posts