Four years ago, I counted!






Four years ago ...


Ephesians 3:1-12                                                         January 5
those intolerant of mystery and ambiguity                  11301.05


To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God. 10


Deuteronomy 30 - And it shall come to pass, when all these things are come upon thee, the blessing and the curse, which I have set before thee, and thou shalt call them to mind among all the nations, whither the LORD thy God hath driven thee.


For this commandment which I commend thee this day, it is not hidden from thee, nor is it far off.


See, I have set before thee this day life and good, and death and evil.


And. Now. You.


Yancey, Diane. Life in Charles Dickens's England. San Diego: Lucent Books, 1999.


ISBN 1560060980


Besides God taking me home right now, what can I do to keep every other word out of Martha and my kids' mouths -- and mine, if I'm honest -- from being critical and faultfinding?


They want money more than love.


But I'm not the one born and raised in Minot; if the wife and kids to decide to kick me out (despite our getting the house cleaner than it was) I'm much on my own. And I need someone to have my back and not just cash.


Good evening, Fast Cash North, this is David, how can I help you?


Not all of my journal entries were or are happy, happy, happy.


But I chose this one to share in my post today as a healthier and less personal alternative to one I looked up for today from twenty-three years ago ... I'd have had to redact that to life support. Also, I was in a hurry to pick something because I wanted to get Sarah and Jeffrey to school on time today ... and today actually went well, no fussing and mussing. Maybe they're finally getting caught up on sleep!


That and not letting them on their iPads in the morning does not hurt.


I got home last night where everybody had stayed home from choir because we've been trading cold germs around for the last week or so. The frequent below zero weather outside and the double digit negative wind chill outside (the latter of which is predicted to fall to -61 degrees by Sunday morning, about 52 below zero for the Celsius users among us ... don't blame me! It's an issue dating back to the French Revolution why we don't use metric.)


Teens At War.




No, this was not a self-help book. Instead, Allan Zullo's work (ISBN 9780545058070) relates ten real-life stories of kids not much older than Sarah at ten and Jeffrey at nine now who by virtue of their size and their patriotism chose to fight for their countries, from the Revolutionary War to the Korean War. And only two of these kids came from outside the United States, one started as a second lieutenant in the British Army and the other was a Belgian resistance fighter against the Nazis.


I was especially impressed that you were told what happened to them all after the wars they fought in.


While we're in the Second World War, I've also got a collection of sermons from 1943  that I finished reading, Willard L. Sperry's Rebuilding Our World. All of these sermons were given in the Harvard College Chapel, and while some of the references are dated to our ears, the principles here are timeless. And it's good once in a while to read something that's not "cutting edge" or came out on the latest bestseller list.


Which when I think about it, is pretty much everything I read.


David










Comments

Popular Posts