I Will Help You Go Fast!

Saturday night when we were out to pick up some essentials for the house this was Jeffrey's line when I got sent in to Menard's. But first, Martha needed a new pair of work pants for Burger King; we got those at Kmart and ultimately with our in-store points ended up getting them for free! Then we sat down to dinner at the Little Caesar's in-store, and Sarah was insistent on paying for her own five-dollar pizza and drink. Jeffrey and I got one for five each too and we all finished them and a side of breadsticks off yesterday, while Martha settled into and devoured what she said is her last cheesy bread prepared just the way she likes it, fresh and with lots of parmesan cheese on top of the already-hot out of the oven cheese. We're trying to spend way less on groceries as well as restrict eating out to our birthdays, but this is our last bending of that rule, God willing and ourselves applying.


That's a good line to keep.


Martha dropped me off at the front door of Menard's and then not only Jeffrey but also Sarah decided to go in with me to help pick out the cereals they wanted to eat -- I would like that Honeycomb and Golden Puffs not be high-sugar cereals, but one fight at a time -- and I also picked up some dollar candy boxes like you'd get in movie theatres (but mostly for more than a dollar) and Sarah was surprised when I bought for all of us because she said she originally planned to but something for her and Jeffrey. She's got, or rather had, more money from when I paid them their allowance because we used the remainder of a Wal-Mart gift card she got for Christmas to purchase some essentials for the house. It feels good to surprise our daughter like that, for it almost makes up for her moodiness when she throws socks at me for not getting to go and do all she wants to do, like I'm getting in her way!


Or Martha's way, when she wants her help and not mine.


Sunday we got to church and stayed after Sunday school -- I was surprised Martha suggested this! -- until she was done with choir for the morning and then we headed home and lounged for most of the day. The kids got to clean out their room of clothes they've outgrown and items they don't use anymore with some help and supervision from Martha and I, and tomorrow I'll make it a point to donate many of these. I also spent Saturday while the kids enjoyed their iPads finally cleaning out our kitchen and getting it to look as neat as it was before Christmas. YES, I want them to help but harping them constantly I have found stresses me out more than it ever seems to do them. And since this was our off-Saturday -- that is, a Saturday when I don't wake the kids to go to Breakfast with the Boys with me -- it was a fight I didn't want to start.


1 + 16 = 17.


1/16/17. Today on Robert and Sharon's forty-eighth wedding anniversary that occurred to me about an hour ago, in regards to today's date. I brought Sarah and Jeffrey there today before work and as it's now above zero even with the wind chill cars shouldn't be too cold to start -- though I will plug in the Lumina at home anyway. Nevertheless, it's the first time in weeks I haven't worn a heavy sweater! When I got to the house Mary, Josceline, and Avery were also there. I got myself a cup of coffee from the kitchen for I had a few minutes and when I came to the living room Avery practically wanted to leap at me! I like to think it's because she misses me as the slightly comic one among her kin, but we also speculated it's because I was the only one standing up. Whichever, I can certainly go with it! Had Avery for a few minutes, then my cup of coffee, and out for the day.


Go fast, young man.


David





Comments

Popular Posts