I have time for this.

1. The best things were life were created by uttering the phrase "I don't have time for this".



2. To love a wild woman is easy since we are lovely; brave is the one who STAYS with us.




3. I lost ten pounds in two weeks by accident. So seldom I get to type that sentence.





4. Jamaica brought out all my sexyness.





5. Hypothetically, if you are writing something with time travel and needing to correlate an anniversary date - how does leap year figure in? how does daylight savings figure in?





6. You have to control your doors to each closure.








7. You know you really look forward to finishing an audiobook when you can't wait to get back to work so you can resume it.





8. Because we haven't figured out how to remain comfortably numb without the possibility of addiction or harmful side effects. It's called a conundrum.


-----


Happy New Year, fellow stargazers!


Hey, so I started my first post of the year with favorite posts I've read from the last half of December of last year because I didn't have many. Or I wasn't really looking for them, one of the two. At least, I'm hardly a wild woman and I've never been to Jamaica. And when I lost ten pounds in two weeks, it was not by accident. A lot's gone on this weekend, and our family may not be the most fun people, but the fact that we're able to spend time together through feast and famine without clawing each others' eyes out say a lot more than I'm willing to acknowledge sometimes. Yes, it does sometimes feel like Sarah and Jeffrey are competing to be the better child and that Martha and I are competing for the role of best parent ... until we're not.


Last Saturday, I went to a movie by myself.


Rogue One. I remember thinking before I saw it Saturday that the LAST movie I saw by myself in theatres was also a Star Wars movie -- The Phantom Menace in 1999, (now) eighteen years ago. Only Star Wars movie I remember NOT seeing in a theatre was Attack of the Clones three years later. Jeffrey was going to come with me to Rogue One -- good thing I got there an hour early, for it sold out! -- but we had free tickets to Splashdown Dakota, the water park adjoined to Sleep Inn adjoined to Dakota Square and at this stage in my children's development, even Star Wars get outweighed by swimming and bowling! (If you haven't seen Rogue One, centered on how the Rebels got the plans to the Death Star, it does great fan service along with being a great story.)


You can see its sequel, the original Star Wars. Really, Rogue One's a prequel that gets it right!


After I left there and had fun finding my car -- one big weakness of Star Wars films for me is they can be pretty disorienting -- Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, and I headed up to North Hill Bowl for two games of Extreme Bowling with music videos and flashing lights where we met Mary and Patrick, Martha's sister and our nephew respectively. And we bowled those game for free too; in fact, both the Splashdown and bowling tickets expired New Year's Eve so it was a good idea to use them. And our bowling is actually improving; yes, for even Martha and Mary who are on a bowling league! I know Martha made her average of 110 while I came in third on game one and last on game two. The kids picked up on their games and then we decided to grab our last dinner out until birthdays.


Unless someone treats us, or we have cash ourselves.


We brought home two pizzas from Papa John's with our usual favorite toppings, Canadian bacon, black olives, pepperoni, and extra cheese. The girls get the first two, the boys get the latter. Sunday morning after church we were invited to Martha's parents' house for ham dinner, and so nervous is Martha about driving in snow lately that we are learning to start out early Early EARLY ... there are moments I could do without that. But we mingled with Martha's other sister and her beau Milton and her daughter Joseceline and granddaughter Avery for a while after eating before we headed to Carmike Cinema again to see Sing, the latest offering from the house of Despicable Me which was actually more fun than I expected American Idol with talking animals to be!


Buster Moon is certainly no Simon Cowell, I assure you.

Which is what I was seriously half-expecting. As far as I can tell, Sing started out as a singing competition but everybody won. Cue the complaints about not being taught through media how to lose graciously, and that saying everybody is special is another way or saying that nobody is. But isn't that supposed to be the parents' or guardians' job? It's not that media has no redeeming value, far from it, but ultimately no program you watch is going to be completely attached to reality as you and I live it. There's staging to do, places to set, lights to fix ... in any event, our day off yesterday with New Year's Day on a Sunday and this morning with all save Jeffrey in a varying state of sniffling, school starting late and driving in -4 with -26 wind chill.


Hey, I do have time for this.


David








Comments

Popular Posts