My Saturday began with a haircut.

My Saturday began with a haircut.


Ok, if we're going with that, my Saturday actually began Thursday morning when I got to Bethany Lutheran for the first Coffee with the Boys of the year. And laying on the table were what looked like several tickets to some sport arena until you looked closely -- they were tickets from free haircuts at the Sport Clips Haircuts that opened in Minot last month. I picked up two, one for Jeffrey and myself (thanks Tim!) The women who work there are touted as "guy-smart stylists", and while you're watching sports they do -- well, in the case of Pauline for Jeffrey and Nichole for myself, did -- your hair and you can get upgraded to an MVP job with hot towel and shampoo and massaging your neck and shoulders. We got that complimentary too, and after the haircuts we went to see Martha at Burger King where she worked and came just in time to show her boys off and have lunch with her.


Hallelujah, I am no longer completely draining snot out of my head!


This weekend's also been really good for Martha and I to rest and get over this hacking cough we've been having! Well, Martha's been holding onto it longer than I have ... mine stopped the middle of last week though I'm still sniffling, and the coughing got so bad at a few points that it was easier for me to go sleep on the couch for a while Martha got our bed. We didn't want to keep trading germs back and forth either, and after a few doses of children's Advil (can you tell the kids get sicker oftener than we do? We don't have any adult cough medicine or fever reducer in our house) I was much more sleeping off a headache than anything. And when we weren't out of the house -- I was feeling so BLEH I was tempted to have Martha and the kids go to church Sunday and let me stay home. On New Year's Day we did the reverse of that, I went to church and they stayed home.


But that's when my default setting kicks in.


I have a hard time just being in church without interacting or taking part in the service. For that matter, I'd say it's true of me in most public places. If I can start a conversation with you I'll do so, even if ostensibly we have nothing in common beyond both being carbon-based forms of life. I've remarked and read others wiser than me remark more than once that here in North Dakota compared to other regions of the country people are friendlier, or at least they try to be. Once when I lived in Florida and was driving through Orlando I remember someone asking "what are you doing looking at my BLEEPING car?" And if he'd said nothing I wouldn't even have realized I was! One of those things you just brush off ... unless you're me and you write about it more than two decades later. Talking to people can get you in trouble if you don't have the right things to say.


Or if you're Martin Luther, it gets a whole continent up in arms.


Saturday after the year's first Breakfast With The Boys -- and before our haircuts, back to first paragraph -- I checked From Luther to 1580: A Pictorial Account (ISBN  0570032644) out of our church library. Erwin Weber I guess would be the compiler, because he didn't write the text or the preface or take the photographs as he acknowledges in the introduction which he did write. But that's ok; since the majority of book is taken up with photographs and artistic reproduction then and now ... well, "now" being 1977 when this book was published. It was an easy read for me at home in one day, and the cutoff date of 1580 in the title's significant because this book was published close to the four hundredth anniversary of the publication of The Book of Concord "which became the confessional basis of Lutheran churches all over the world".

I suppose so. I haven't read it myself.


So Sunday after getting home from church and Sunday school for the kids we rested for a while (Martha especially, her voice so raspy she didn't really try to sing) and then got out to Wal-Mart for some needed items. Traffic wasn't especially insane in the store itself yesterday, but I admit I could not wait to get back home. I hate to say that's usually not me. Sarah -- yes, I finally mentioned her in this post! -- got herself a new pair of pants and used up the rest of the gift card she'd gotten for Christmas. She had to use some of it to help us get what we needed; even in the now-mild winter we have, where the wind chill wasn't near the sixty-one below advertised (about half that), you never know when snow fallen and blowing will make travel impossible. So it's always a good idea to be prepared and stay healthy.


How am I? Grateful.


David

Comments

Popular Posts