My Ten-Year-Old Going On Twenty-Five

There are moments ... Sarah, the ten-year-old I refer to in today's title, was home sick from school yesterday with a 107.7 degree fever. Usually that's a condition that requires hospitalization, but the circumstances were so askance (I think she's learned to hold the digital thermometer in her clenched fist to make the temperature rise; she didn't feel warm, at any rate) that instead of that -- hopefully Martha and I aren't that paranoid about our children's health -- after I brought Jeffrey to school yesterday I checked in that Sarah was sick and brought her to Martha's parents' house for the day. My big issue is that we're wearing out our welcome there, for especially spurious reasons.


"Christmas is the decorations that go up on the day after Halloween . . . and Thanksgiving isn't even here yet!" So mashing together holiday sales is hardly a new phenomenon with our own times! I'm thinking this year in fact of printing Halgivmas cards that combine the signature features (commercially speaking, spiritually speaking they're as far as the east is from the west) of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas -- but seriously, Charles M. Schulz's 1964 gift book collection Christmas Is Together-Time contains various Peanuts kids and points out the idiosyncracies of celebrating today ... the year before A Charlie Brown Christmas premiered on television!


I find that interesting. I don't know if I find it AS interesting that after I picked up both our kids and learned that my brother-in-law Allan's stepfather Ben died yesterday morning that Sarah was sulking during a conversation with me and wouldn't come in when we got home. A few minutes after Jeffrey and I settled, she stomped to the front door and said, "You don't care about me." :( What I don't care for is a crummy attitude or for you swiping my things (i.e. my cell phone this morning) to talk to Mom without asking first or saying you enjoyed something I took you to do and then complaining to Mom because of something that happened on our way home like you and Jeffrey did last week!


Whatever my kids may do to hurt me, I will never stop caring for them. Even beyond twenty-five.


David

Comments

Popular Posts