The Street of The Lifted Truax

When I picked Sarah and Jeffrey up at their aunt Margaret's house last night (which I passed by twice before stopping, so I must have been tired) I was told that my in-laws Robert and Sharon along with their grandson Mathew on their way back from this year's USS Stoddard reunion in Portland, Maine had stopped at Truax, Wisconsin for the night. One wonders how many Dr. Seuss puns the citizens of that unincorporated community in the town of Union, Wisconsin hear from passers-through ... or did that just connect in my brain because last week my family and I were watching the 1972 cartoon based on the book The Lorax, which unlike the extended version four years ago in theatres from the same company that brought you the Minions (Illumination Entertainment) did not require a "deep" back story or even a gloriously happy ending!


But I digress.


I still smile at the memory of reading The Lorax to Sarah in her bedroom when she sat in my lap and as the land got worse because the Once-ler and his family produced the Thneeds so fast that pollution from the factory ran rampant and the Lorax who spoke for the trees had to send all the animals who lived in the land away. And as the land got worse I made the Lorax's voice worse, and when he spoke at one point I made him sound so hoarse that Martha downstairs wondered if I was ok. For I like doing voices, and not necessarily for comic effect either. You really must listen to me read lessons at church some time. That, and The Lorax itself isn't so much funny despite Seuss' style as hopeful.


Unless.


At 1136 hours Central Standard Time this morning Martha called me at my office and said she heard Robert, Sharon, and Mathew (see first paragraph) were just headed into Jamestown, and that's about two hours away from Minot. So instead of having to go to Margaret's to pick the kids up, I'll just have to drive to Grandma and Grandpa's after work tonight to pick them up and at home get the pork chops and home fries ready for our dinner. And I have driven THERE many times, so I won't get lost!


I think.

This weekend with various cast and crew from our family we navigated a corn maze at Berry Acres (not Breezy Acres, as I called this last night to one of Martha's coworkers and Jeffrey who just stormed through it called me on it) and played nine holes of mini-golf. Margaret's significant Milton, her daughters Breanna and Josceline, Breanna's daughter Avery, and Mary came with us. We had six free passes there for me, Martha, Sarah, Jeffrey, Mary, and Josceline from that raffle we'd won the week before, and Sunday afternoon while Breanna and Avery visited us we used the free pizzas we had from Uncle Maddio's and Planet Pizza and ate pretty well!


Pizza. All the food groups.


David

Comments

Popular Posts