But Right Now, The Gourds DO Look "Autumnish" ...



especially since status twenty-two was written when snow was falling and had fallen here in Minot on the eleventh! Now it's not.

But who knows with our oncoming "triple holiday" of Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas -- check the stores, check the weather -- what will happen next?

Unless I give you their names here, the quotes come from public sources or from the wise ones of my own household (see statuses two, three, and eight) and for the first half of October 2016 I seem to be coming out, pardon the pun, with better reading material!

Enjoy.

David

1. Top Chef isn't just about cooking, It's about making the right choices.



Marisa Churchill, Top Chef season 2


[I know the show's from 2006, but we've been binge-watching at home. - D.]




2. I'm not fancy
I like burgers
See my belly grow!



Jeffrey and Martha's duet at home, 100116, 1520 hrs



3. I am 1/32 Cherokee. How.



I wrote in my journal, 100216





4. Sharing a bright moment to start your Monday morning:
Last week, I was trying to teach a difficult concept with writing. Students were complaining about how it was not only hard, but was also making their writing worse. So, I made an analogy. I said, "do you know how they used to shoot free throws in basketball?"
Student: Yeah, it used to be the underhand 'granny' shot.
Me: That's right. Did you know, though, that the next day after the players were taught this new technique,... they weren't any good at it and kept missing the hoop?
Student: Duh. They had to practice!
I grinned for about three seconds until the light bulb turned on. Then I ran some victory laps around my classroom.
I don't always have a lightbulb moment with my students, but when I do, I celebrate.
Here's hoping for light bulbs in all the classrooms this week!

5. A joke is an epitaph for an emotion.

Friedrich Nietzsche







6. Wow. So according to this article, Guardians of the Galaxy is the "deadliest film of all time" with over 83k deaths on screen. For the record, the second "deadliest film of all time" is Dracula Untold at 5.6k - Return of the King is number four with 2.7k deaths on screen. That's right - we have 78k more deaths than our closest rival.
Um, hooray?
The reason for this high count is rather simple - at the end of the film, an enormous swarm of Nova Corp pilots create a Nova net - ...linking their starblaster ships together to try and block Ronan's Dark Aster from reaching their planet, and destroying it. Although they're able to heroically hold him off for a time, the Dark Aster eventually breaks through, destroying all of their ships - all told, I guess we see 80,000 ships being blown up on screen.
This is a massive visual effects sequence that took hundreds of visual effects artists thousands of hours to put together. I can't tell you how many dozens of times I made them redo the sequence for it to look just right - but I know we were still getting revisions hours before I boarded a plan to begin the press tour in Singapore.
I hope our heroic CGI Nova Corps members know they didn't die in vain. Not only did they help stop their planet from being destroyed, they garnered a rather sketchy world record in the process.
RIP Garthan Saal and company.
PS For all of you writing about Alderan, etc, etc - it's individual, ONSCREEN EXPIRATIONS, not implied deaths through seeing planets or cities exploding. You also see a lot of planets explode in the Collector's museum. Stop trying to take this huge honor from me.




James Gunn, 100416, c.1311 hrs, the writer and director of Guardians of the Galaxy responding to a Guardian article citing this movie as the deadliest film ever with 83,871 fatalities



7. So, does Mario ever wonder why he jumps "over" things that were never really in his path?





8. They had a lot to write!



Sarah, 100516, 0704 hrs, on what Mabel and Dipper from Gravity Falls would write regarding what they did on their summer vacation


[On that note, would not have a Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb crossover have SO. FRELLING. ROCKED? Both are owned by Disney. - D]



9. Banter is like talking, only smarter.



(Dipper Pines, Gravity Falls, "Double Dipper")






10. I need volunteers to die in my nano this year.
A young woman receives a message from her fiancee while he's writing a story about abandoned islands. He's gone missing, and she goes to the coordinates to find him, but instead she finds a island of ghosts.
I need to populate the island.





11. What I can or can't forgive isn't for you to decide.



(Alana, Saga, chapter thirty-two)




12. (The Iliad and the Odyssey were a combination of holy scripture, Star Wars saga, and World History For Dummies of the time.)




(Peter Haugen, World History For Dummies, p. 48)




13. Highly prized for their scent, frankincense and myrrh were as valuable as gold. Think about that next time the clerk at the presume counter offers you a sample spritz.



(ditto, p. 81)




14. Ultimately, if you can manage it, it's best to have no illusions about anything.




(Thomas Fleming, The Secret Trial of Robert E. Lee, p. 201)




15. It occurs to me that without adults, Bella and the Bulldogs would be the middle school version of Peanuts.




my own deep thought, 100916, 0812 hrs



16. I mean, I know diversity is an overused word these days, but without it, what would we be?



((Hazel (as narrator), Saga, chapter thirty-four))




17. I forget how easy it is to click unfriend. The convenience is crazy....




18. Every ounce of effort is a triumph over still waters ....





19. Maybe it's not about how you end things. It's about how you live them.



(Archie Hopper/Jiminy Cricket, Once Upon A Time, "The Other Shoe")




20.Why can't a princess be a teacher? What's more noble than that?


(Mary Margaret Blanchard/Snow White, same show)





21. National Coming Out Day [October 11]:
This is my first one since being out as bisexual. It's been a wild ride since coming out particularly as a minister this past year.
I am grateful to my children for making it a non-event. Both truly went on about their business within 5-10 minutes. How awesome are my kids?
Since I have cultivated an amazing group of friends, I am also grateful to the vast majority who also treated it as a non-event, and would never dream of treating me any differently or ever wish for a world that took away my rights. Many -- straight and otherwise -- actively work for equality in very brave ways. Those in my inner circle would never imagine a God who would demand my silence or deem me less worthy. For that I am grateful.
I am grateful to my parents for trying even though we mostly ignore the subject. Maybe one day I could imagine bringing my partner to a Christmas dinner, but we are not there yet. Perhaps one day.
The most difficult place by far to come out was the church, which should have been the safest place. I am grateful to my denominational colleagues and leaders who gave me unwavering support. People always say the hierarchy represents the worst in the church. It is simply not true in the Northern Plains UCC. They are the best of what the ministry is, in my humble opinion. Thank you.
The hardest part of the last year is suddenly being erased by so many people in the public and in the church. The "I still love you anyway" comments that I routinely receive. Why wouldn't you, I ask? I am still the same person. Probably worse to hear: "God still loves you." Of course God does. I have never questioned this. Truly. Why are we even talking about this?
It is not easy coming to terms with the reality that I now have very limited employment options. Would I still like to minister? Probably. Do I want to minister in an institution that demands I erase myself? Not at all. I must also come to terms with the fact that I am tired and a break is necessary.
So I live with my new reality that suddenly when supply preaching, simply stating that I am LGBTQ is cause for a church to be in distress. Last year I was welcome most anywhere I went -- even as a highly imperfect divorced (2x no less!) woman. Not so much anymore. Maybe welcome-ish on a given day as long as I agree to the code of being silent. No thank you.
It's been a wild ride as many no longer know what to do with me. What do people do with an ex minister? Act very awkward. Maybe sometimes I don't even know what to do with myself. So what does someone like that do? Go back to school, of course.
Even though it's been a wild ride, it's been a necessary ride. My prayer is of course that people will be more accepting of all -- but my even deeper prayer is that allies will be braver in their defiance of not only blatant bigotry but the (for me) even more painful experience of identity erasure in the church and in society. For my brave friends and colleagues who actively defy this every day, I thank you.
This world can be far more accepting and loving if we choose it every day in our choices. Let's live into it. This world is very beautiful when we unconditionally love and accept all.
Thank you for listening.
Peace and love.





22. First snow. Those gourds suddenly look less autumnish.




23. With Orwell, new living space usually meant a new book project.



(Mitzi M. Brunsdale, Student Companion to George Orwell, p. 10)



24. Guys: When your wife/girlfriend asks you what you're going to get her for Christmas, "pregnant" is NOT the correct answer





25. Holy smokeshow!






Comments

Popular Posts