No, you can't play with Han Solo, and that's final.



It's in the forties Fahrenheit where I am right now in Minot and slightly overcast outside as I write this after I've started my post for tomorrow -- it's another Throw Back Thursday where I share a journal entry I'd written decades ago, so I was able to get a good start on it because I've already written it!


After work last night I got Sarah and Jeffrey from their grandparents' place where my sister-in-law Mary is moving in as Breanna and Avery have moved out (for more details on where they are, please see Monday's post "Now FORWARD!") but Mary says she'll only be there to eat and sleep, and maybe not even the first one. I knew about this, and when I heard Robert (aka my father-in-law, aka Grandpa, etc.) or was it Sharon (aka my mother-in-law, aka Grandma, etc.) referring to Mary being there, I wondered aloud when they were going to get their place to themselves?


I mean, their youngest -- yes, Martha's the youngest of four sisters -- lives with me, their oldest lives with her family on North Hill, and their next (oh wait, Mary's next, so their third) oldest who turns forty-three in five days lives with her family on the east side of town. Now that I write that, I'm thinking that we have a family unit in each part of town, northeast, northwest, southeast, AND southwest.


And then I remember that we all have addresses except in the southwest part of Minot -- the dividing line east-west more or less is Broadway, north-south it's Burdick. At least I've heard Minot Public Schools goes by that in determining who goes to what school, and restaurants with more than one location parcel out the limits of their delivery areas. And likely some other useful things like determining how far a city ward goes.


I brought Sarah and Jeffrey home last night and I'd had pot roast cooking in our crock pot for the last ten hours, so we got started on it with simmering cut potatoes and baby carrots. There either wasn't quite as much meat as we thought in the roast we bought Saturday or we were really hungry, but by the time Martha got home from Burger King there wasn't much meat but evidently enough vegetables left.


Still, this was a good thing -- oh, it is a good night when we don't have leftovers. Now we just need to clean more out of our fridge that we've since accumulated ... AND the kids got their second days of reading for the month done! Jeffrey had a Dilbert anthology while Sarah had I do not remember the first book, but she finished it in twelve and a half minutes and part of Darth Vader and Son, one of my kids' favorites and where today's title comes from!


And for me? The Complete Peanuts: 1991-1992 (ISBN 9781606997260, introduction by Tom Tomorrow) where Charles Schulz's favorite and favored creations so mirror what you and I want to say or demand from a kid's perspective (Charlie Brown, who's it going to be between Peppermint Patty and Marcy?) -- at least, when you and I get older Peanuts becomes more valuable than ever -- that we can't help but snicker at least. And Snoopy can become almost anything, just like you and I would like to!

I'd say the potential is there,

David



Comments

Popular Posts