I Remember!


I start this post at 1242 Central Standard Time, and snow is falling and staying on the ground!


On a Tuesday, in October. Sounds like fun. And in about fifteen minutes as I type this, my in-laws Robert and Sharon along with their third oldest grandchild Mathew should be arriving in Portland, Maine after having started out six and a half hours earlier from Hammond, New York. SO by the time you read this they ought to be settled or settling into wherever they're staying before they get to Robert's Navy vessel reunion!


USS Stoddard, we salute you.


Last night after work I picked up the kids at their aunt Margaret's house and had that kids' gift bucket sitting between the front seats and the war whoops went up "we won! WE WON!" Jeffrey you could have mistaken for a fast turtle on his back in his seat waving his arms and legs, and with Sarah you just get very loud. Which we don't mind, I assure you, when they're with joy. Tidings of comfort and joy ...


no, No, NO it's not Christmas yet!


But hey, many retailers are already mashing together Halloween and Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it's understandable if the weather is doing the same. Halgivmas? Hallothankschrist? (I don't even want to go there.) This sixth season of Once Upon A Time seems to be focused not on bringing people together as holidays are maybe wont to do so much as separating them. Two of them, in this case, into their "good" and "evil" selves. Regina Mills and the Evil Queen who's been around since the series beginning, and Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde who debuted at the end of the last season.


There's a reason people don't want their stories told.


And now in Storybrooke, the fictional Maine town where the lion's share of Once's action takes place, you've got Regina wondering WHY the Evil Queen is still alive after she crushed her heart. Considering that they are the same being, just at different times in their lives, if she'd really killed her she would have been killing herself, is that not true? With Jekyll and Hyde -- we get the term for such a split personality from that Stevenson story -- the same thing, though neither's tried to kill the other.


Yet.


So far this season I haven't seen a heart get ripped out and crushed, but I digress. In yet ANOTHER "senior moment" I forgot what this post was supposed to be about, primarily catching up on my reading list! Well, at least reading Tom Friedman's 1,000 Unforgettable Senior Moments (ISBN 9780761140764, subtitled "of which we could remember only 246"), I don't feel quite as silly as the President who left nuclear launch codes in a suit at the dry cleaners or the novelist who put the orange juice outside and the kitten in the refrigerator, among others.

(Jimmy Carter and Anne Rivers Siddons, respectively.)


And that's one out of SIXTY-TWO books that I bought at Minot Public Library's fall book sale over two days for eight dollars! I bought a few Friday morning before I went to work and I went there Saturday for the final three hours -- I wasn't there the whole time -- when you could get as many books as you could pack in a bag for three dollars. And I remember in recent years to bring my own cloth one, which I've developed the art of packing for maximum literary carriage.


Essentially, pack it to the max!


Saturday night I figured this out; I bought sixty-two (I'm having a senior moment as I write this sentence!) books for eight dollars and ended up paying thirteen cents a book, from tomes to magazines. And I've made the effort to trade in or give away books I already had this month at a rate of ten a day, so this weekend kinda traded in new lamps for old for me. Which will pretty much wipe out my book allowance until, oh, I don't know.


Christmas.


David

Comments

Popular Posts