While My Instrumentalists Play A Home Show After Dinner



Fifteen years ago ...

Proverbs 16:17-20                                              April 2
liberating Jessica from Naseriyah                      10304.02

He that handle th a matter wisely shall find good:
And whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he. 20

Heinlein, Robert A. Farnham's Freehold. New York: Berkley Books, 1982.

This 1964 novel is probably a third too long for me. The title character's spent years building a bomb shelter; he finally gets to use it. Farnham, his wife, his son, his daughter, their house servant, and a family friend become the pioneers of a new world. What they find in this new world -- well, you're led to believe this novel will become a test of survival, but then others find them -- takes up the second half of the book. Really too long, and the characters seem to speak only in fragments and exclamations. The author felt as though he was still finding his voice (but no big, I still need to find mine).

[Prayer requests for this day were -- at least according to the bottom of these two pages -- for Tobler, Rosacker, and Slocum along with one for "healing @ my workplace", which was a different place from now.]

It's the last day of the kids' Easter vacation (Easter Monday) as I write this after we ate dinner early for us and the kids are practicing on their musical instruments (Sarah her clarinet and Jeffrey his trombone) and they're asking Martha to listen to them and check their work, so to speak. I handle checking them on written work and reading, like I checked our niece Josceline's geometry homework last week by our nephew, Josceline's brother Patrick taking a picture of it, sending it to Martha's smartphone, and then calling me on my ... not-as-smart phone.

According to their mom Margaret when we met at church Thursday night, Josceline had been working on and Patrick had been helping with said geometry for five hours over two days before they considered calling Martha for help, who then referred them to her husband (me). Sotto voce, I asked Margaret "what have we learned from this?", and she replied to ask me. I may not be mechanically inclined as one person at the Vanity warehouse where I work now said -- several times -- but after work as we picked up a new nose piece for my glasses, I'm assured that like the Millennium Falcon, I may not look like much (or have the skill set expected), but I've got it where it counts!

I needed that.

David

Comments

Popular Posts