Interpretive License Plating

Fourteen years ago ...

Joshua 1:1-9                                                                           April 13
John and non-Christians @ UCA-Santa Barbara                 10404.13

Only be thou strong and courageous, that thou mayest do according to all the law, which Moses my servant commanded thee: turn not from it to the right hand or to the left, that thou mayest prosper whithersoever thou goest. 7

Begin in a friendly way.

Today was my day off from Fast Cash, and it feels like we're in neutral holding out for the keys to apartment D. Martha got to choose this morning from three teaching assignments; she chose violin at Jim Hill. Mary had the day shift at Kmart, and when I left the house I bought three pairs of slacks and a tie at Goodwill because I was down to my last two of the former and right now I can only find one of the latter!

Of course, I get more frequent reader miles at the Minot Public Library (by checking out six books that looked good) and I started to look for a literary agent for Progeny too. Talk about a leap of faith!

Amend, Bill. Pass The Loot. Foreword by Lynn Johnston. Kansas City: Universal Press Syndicate, 1990.

This Foxtrot collection is quirky enough to make scratch your head, funny enough to make you laugh out loud, and basic enough to appeal to whatever type of family you're part of. Roger and Andrea ("Andy") Fox and their kids Peter, Paige, and Jason have the hopes and dreams (and schoolwork!) that all of us do, and even the artist's drawing style is just enough "out there" that you're glad you're taking this grain of salt! It's interesting the way he's tied in Jason's iguana into the life of the Fox family; he is a pet, but the iguana is like one of the family too. Foxtrot shows one-liners and longer stories work equally well when handled by the right cartoonist.

And yes, I know the comic's title is correctly rendered FoxTrot. But I wrote this fourteen years ago.

And as Martha said as she saw me working on this, that was BK. Not Burger King as Sarah was thinking right then, but Before Kids. (Sarah wouldn't be born for another two years, Jeffrey for three.)

And today as I write this, we're celebrating ... well, at least acknowledging the eleventh anniversary of our moving into our house! It really doesn't seem that long; even with the year and a half or so we were out of here due to the 2007 flood, it's just a stay in progress for all of us.

Tonight us ... I mean, WE after we got off work and met the kids at home went to Longfellow Elementary 's Family Fun Night. With my work schedule at Fast Cash from 2003-2017, I always got off so late that I would get off and get there by the time everything was winding down. But tonight I got there in daylight, and it was fun to get to.

True, it was mostly Jeffrey playing games and Martha and Sarah just hanging out in the cafeteria and catching up with old friends -- we all do that and we all have them. And like my work at the warehouse, I was mostly on my feet while I was there. But it was great to go, and afterward we cooked cheeseburger macaroni Hamburger Helper for dinner, something that really sticks to your ribs! And now ...

Now, we're all just hanging out.

David

Comments

Popular Posts