Lucifer Has Fallen

Eighteen years ago ...

FRIDAY                                                                                 10004.07

InterVarsity student leadership in MT, for vision;
personal depression; Joyce Underwood to find her role;
Pamela and her needs; to own a vehicle and for us to be
together; money

There are no pointless wars, only pointless people. Today's Scripture reading [Judges 20-21, as guided by A Treasury of Wisdom Journal compiled by Ken and Angela Abraham, ISBN 1557489068]  is a case in point; a nation turning its back on God will do everything right in its own eyes. I do not need to trample the fumie (cf. medieval Japan) every time I'm in a lousy mood. It hurts to be and live that way, and I need to do a better job of listening than I have been doing. Amen. 

Williams, A. L. All You Can Do Is All You Can Do But All You Can Do Is Enough! New York: Ivy Books, 1988.

See, I hadn't even met Martha yet when I wrote that and already I knew I needed to improve myself!

Seriously, I would like to think that's an ongoing process. Here I am sitting back while the kids and Martha are watching the latest season of Project Runway and playing on their tablets and napping with various degrees of success in each (see, you can multitask while relaxing, which we usually use our Saturdays for). There's still snow outside and the sun's shining, and we're told to expect more of both the rest of this month and the month of May!

Where is global warming when you need it?

Today's title is the code phrase New Rome uses to tell all its abbeys in the Walter M. Miller, Jr. novel A Canticle For Leibowitz to prepare their collection of human knowledge and essential personnel for evacuation from Earth because, in the mid-38th century, the major human powers are preparing to start ANOTHER nuclear war like the one that sent their race back to the Dark Ages 1800 years before. It's a tough novel to re-read, but I got more from it this time.

In real life, this isn't the first time the Church has had to do this.

After the move of Rome -- I don't say fall of Rome because as the center of the Christian church and (more or less) the center of that world and its traditions moved to Constantinople (present-day Istanbul) and endured there for another thousand years before entering Moscow where they mostly stayed to the end of the Great War (World War I) -- the Church warts and all kept hold of human knowledge and progress to await rediscovery or supplantation to suit an orthodox life.

It's a plausible, if not cogent, argument that the Roman Empire lasted until the Russian Revolution.





Comments

Popular Posts