Eddie Ate Dynamite. Goodbye Eddie!



Eleven years ago ...

Isaiah 50:4-9                                                     April 4
leaders of nonprofits, Easter luncheon             10704.04

Behold, the Lord GOD will help me; who is he that shall condemn me? lo, they shall wax up as a garment; the moth shall eat them up. 9

Job 23 -- Job answers that his complaining has become more bitter, so much so that he wonders where God is to plead his case before

We do have all the food we need promised for Sunday's Easter brunch. After work tonight, I had this sinus headache through the day. Whew -- and I thought my staring at the computer for hours while standing was causing it! Now some sleep ...

My story seems to be repeating itself ...

AND tonight's title is the mnemonic device Sarah was taught to memorize the chords of a guitar, so our daughter Sarah told us last night! E-A-D-G-E. At least, she and her brother Jeffrey and my wife Martha understand that better than I do. It's enough for me musically to tell you types of instruments and maybe identify composers and pieces over the last five hundred years or so, give or take. And as I just woke up from my nap (I haven't wanted to take one for the last few days, odd for me) and am writing this before 2100 hours my local time I feel a mite. More. Focused.

Midway through week forty in my work as a distribution assistant in Trinity Health's medical supply warehouse, it's hard to not feel like -- for now -- I am where I need to be. Sometimes, in a Maasai posture, I feel like I am there to make sure someone else is there. My attitude toward there, and by extension my attitude toward everyone and everything else in my life, I see as getting better and (I hope) more patient. So much for the bussing Rhodes scholars sitting in our living room right now on their tablets while Mom's at choir practice ... but plenty can happen between now and '24.

Let's see, what to read, what to read ... what have I read? A heck of a lot since I took my sabbatical from here, partly of my own free will and partly because this was the last thing on my mind! Let's start out with Lyndsay Ely's debut novel Gunslinger Girl (ISBN 9780316555104) which was released this January -- I got hold of a proof copy last month -- beginning to chronicle the adventures of Serendipity Jones, who with her mom's six shooters runs away from home in post-Second Civil War North America to make a new life for herself in the Circus Vespertine.

It turns out life in the Circus and in Cessation, the Pacific coast city where anything you want to do is legal so long as you respect the boss Selene and give her her cut, is not as simple or as free as you would think. And Serendipity gets caught in the middle of a power play among Cessation and Columbia, the capital of the Confederacy of North America. And of course there's a love interest, and several plot twists ... having written a debut novel (and several more, which I really need to get back to!) myself, it's fun to see how they're starting to find their voice.

And like gold getting refined, David

Comments

Popular Posts