Ensign: Oh, You'll Like This.


All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                      9 June 2017


Today I'm sharing writing duties on Ensign (and in this case by "sharing" I mean airlifting entirely) with Jeanette Bialas Strandjord, a retired Lutheran pastor. I've been reading a series of her devotions published in Christ In Our Home, a daily devotional I use in the mornings. Individual pastors and laypersons from all over the country get to contribute a set of fifteen or sixteen one-page devotional readings for others to read. They can use pretty much whatever words they want, but it all ties back into Scripture, some more directly than others. Strandjord from Tuesday I quote in italics and comments of mine ... aren't italicized.




If you have ever raised children, taught Sunday school, led a Scout troop, or coached a children's team, you may have wondered a few times if all the effort was worth it. I confess I have wondered this more than a few times. In those times of doubt, there often was someone who would say, "Someday you'll see -- it'll all be worth it." Paul is saying something like this to Timothy. Paul put his trust in God; Paul trusted that God would prosper his witness and preaching of Jesus Christ. Paul encouraged Timothy to not give up on preaching the truth of God's saving love in the risen Christ.


I have raised children, I have taught Sunday school, and I have led a Scout troop. More often that not, I too wonder if all the effort was (is) worth it. In some cases, I'm not likely this side of heaven to ever know that. Seeing some results might take decades or years or months or days or even hours. I go backwards with that because that's the only way we can look at our efforts. Although the future is already written at least in broad strokes -- to God everything that will happen has already happened, but not to us -- you and I are typically limited by seeing only what has happened.


Paul didn't live to see all the fruits of his missionary efforts. We have the privilege of seeing the fruits of Paul's preaching. He likely didn't envision that his letters to fledgling churches would be read almost 2,000 years later, that they would continue to provide powerful testimony to Christ Jesus. Still, they are and they do.


It's been one of those up-and-WAY down weeks for me, and I'm only writing this Thursday, the day before you see it. I don't think what I have to say is going to last the two thousand plus years that likely Paul did not expect his own writings to. The focal passage of Strandjord's devotion is 2 Timothy 1:12-14, where Paul in his last New Testament letter is encouraging Timothy not to quit preaching and teaching the Good News of Jesus the Christ. That fact that he hasn't despite changes in his circumstances should inspire him, but Timothy ultimately has to hold on by himself.


Paul was right! God is always at work. Never underestimate God's power working through what you say, do, and write.


I try not to underestimate God working through what I say, do, and write -- but it's easy sometimes. If you read to the end (the "P.S." section) you'll notice I've commented "I will continue as long as God allows me to write this" quite a bit. I'm referring to Ensign, and I may have to go from here do to some schedule changes. I'll miss writing this when I am gone, and perhaps I can't see all the fruits of this NOW, but I know that not only does writing of God change the people who read it


it's also changing me,

David

P.S. I will continue as long as God allows me to write this devotional to keep in touch with you, and I hope it encourages us too! If it's not or you want me to get lost, please let me know. Thank you!

And thank YOU, Lord, that we can come to You in praise and prayer and that we can count on You to provide for all our needs according to Your riches in glory, even when we don't know what they are. (This happens more often than we think.) And we come to You in prayer for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence and all over the world.


Thank You as well, Lord, for everyone in leadership and sevice, in authority and power, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You by Your Son Our Brother, Jesus the Christ.


And now I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.



Comments

Popular Posts