Ensign: Ministry of Word and Sacrament



All ye inhabitants of the world, and dwellers on the earth, see ye, when he lifteth up an ensign on the mountains; and when he bloweth a trumpet, hear ye. Isaiah 18:3


AN ENSIGN ON THE MOUNTAINS                      23 June 2017


I don't think any of you have been with me since the beginning, have you?


Since I first started writing Ensign, I mean. I can pin it down to the turn of the century; I've still got hard copies of these devotions I started to write -- they used to be much shorter -- from an email account I don't even have anymore. And I don't remember being ASKED, really, to start writing them, I was just at a computer in my local library then checking my email one day and it came across to start writing something that meant something to me.


You could say it's the Holy Spirit's calling. But how many of us really listen to that?


Last Saturday we had an ordination service at my church for one of our members who just graduated from seminary and has accepted a "letter of call" to be the full-time pastor of the church where she's been preaching for some time. An ordination is essentially the church organization's way of making the job title official and to minister (read: administer) word and sacrament is essentially beach able to teach and guide others in God's Word and give or lead the administration of Holy Communion.


I'm sure I am simplifying that. But I have no current plan of entering full-time ministry like that.


Though I have been asked before why I haven't considered it. Because I'm stubborn? Yes, but not about that. And is it too presumptive to say Ensign isn't itself a ministry? I don't believe it is, any more than being a Sunday school teacher or a choir member or an usher or using any gift that you have for the glory and service of God isn't something you can't call a ministry because you don't have a degree or series of degrees after your name. That sounds right.


I know I didn't get quite so many hands laid on me seventeen years ago. I'd have been concerned.


Paul's charge to Timothy from 2 Timothy 4:1-5 tells us to be ready no matter what happens around us. Please read the passage yourself for more details: verse five's call to "watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry" is not limited to standing behind a pulpit, it's a call to be like Jesus Christ (Christian literally means "little Christ" so anything we do is little) no matter where we go or what we're faced with on the way.


Our ministry is so much more than a ministry. It's a life.


David


P.S. I will continue as long as God allows me to write this devotional to keep in touch with you, and I hope it encourages us too! If it's not or you want me to get lost, please let me know. Thank you!

And thank YOU, Lord, that we can come to You in praise and prayer and that we can count on You to provide for all our needs according to Your riches in glory, even when we don't know what they are. And we come to You in prayer for the peace of Jerusalem on both sides of the fence and all over the world.

Thank You as well, Lord, for everyone in leadership and sevice, in authority and power, both here and abroad. Thank You for the opportunities we have and the promise of new life through You by Your Son Our Brother, Jesus the Christ.

And now I pray that we all seek and have a blessed week! Amen.










Comments

Popular Posts